[comp.windows.ms.programmer] SDK vs Actor 3.0

kevinc@beau.adp.wisc.edu (Kevin Cherek) (02/28/91)

I just started doing Windows development.  I have MSC 6.0 and the SDK.  I
have the option of purchasing Actor 3.0 from the Whitewater group for $99.
Can anyone tell me how the two tools compare?  You can email me or post.  If
you do post, please do so only to comp.windows.ms.  (I only posted here because
I wanted to reach the windows programmers.)  I will summarize to
comp.windows.ms.

Thanks,
kevin.cherek@mail.admin.wisc.edu

kwong@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ka Chin Wong) (02/28/91)

By all means choose Actor.  An excellent object oriented programming
language.  With Actor, you don't need SDK to build Windows application.
You learn Actor and at the same time you learn OOP.

In a way, Actor is very similar to Smalltalk (Programming Environment).
Actually, it is like a combination of LISP, Smalltalk, C, and Pascal,
but with a simple, power (and at the same time easy to read) syntax.

The only drawback I can think of is a relative small Actor programming
community.  When you are stuck, you may have a hard time find local help.

The Whitewater group does have a BBS and a forum on Compuserve though.
However, the BBS is more benifical to those who live in Chicago area,
and Compuserve costs.

There isn't a newsgroup like comp.lang.actor there yet; however, if you
have questions that I may know, feel free to drop me a mail.

Rick

pcb@basin04.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (03/01/91)

In article <27cc5b87.6199@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> kwong@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ka Chin Wong) writes:

>By all means choose Actor.  An excellent object oriented programming
>language.  With Actor, you don't need SDK to build Windows application.
>You learn Actor and at the same time you learn OOP.

I use actor as much as C/SDK and love it. I like the design principles and
benefits of OO development.  From a theoretical and instructional viewpoint
get it, learn it, and use it.

But I would not develop a commercial application in actor,yet (my opinion).
If you are working on prototypes or university assignments,
fine. There are still some irritating problems when the system encounters
windows errors (what windows app does not crash anyway?).
And little things like 'a method size is limited'.
Also there is the whole mess about sealing off an application. You need
2 256K files, minimum, for every stand alone application. uggggh.

However, I heard a new release is due out soon!

kls@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Kenneth L Shellberg) (03/01/91)

Found this on CompuServe, and felt that it deserved further dissemination:

Sb: #ACTOR 3.0 only $99.99!!!
Fm: Donald Ryan 71460,74
To: ALL WINDOWS USERS

    ATTENTION ALL WINDOWS USERS!  Through a special arrangement between the
Whitewater Group and GUI CLEARING HOUSE (1-800-522-4624)  you can purchase the
complete ACTOR 3.0 object-oriended development system at the unprecedented and
one-time only price of $99.99, plus shipping &  handling.
    Actor 3.0 is a significantly enhanced version of the most popular
object-oriented development system for Windows 3.0 allowing you to
develope standalone executable Windows programs and distribute them
without paying royalties.  Actor includes a complete class library for
windowing, graphics, data management and more, and is the fastest way to get
from prototype to completed application.
    Take advantage of this incredible limited time offer and save
almost $800.00 off the suggested retail price of $895.00!  Order ACTOR 3.0
from GUI CLEARING HOUSE before March 31, 1991 and pay only $99.99 plus
shipping & handling.  ORDER TODAY!   1-800-522-4624

- Ken Shellberg                 |   Internet: kls@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu -
- The Ohio State University     |   CIS:      76247.1705@compuserve.com     -
- Geology & Mineralogy          |   Voice:    614-292-2721                  -

yow@sweetpea.jsc.nasa.gov (Billy Yow 283-4009) (03/01/91)

>    Take advantage of this incredible limited time offer and save
>almost $800.00 off the suggested retail price of $895.00!  Order ACTOR 3.0
>from GUI CLEARING HOUSE before March 31, 1991 and pay only $99.99 plus
>shipping & handling.  ORDER TODAY!   1-800-522-4624

Has anybody ordered this?  Who/What is the GUI clearing House?  If you
have ordered Actor is it the full 3.0 version?  Can you upgrade and does
the Whitewater Group support copies ordered from the GUI clearing
House?

			Thanks
				Bill Yow
				yow@sweetpea.jsc.nasa.gov

adw@otter.hpl.hp.com (Dave Wells) (03/01/91)

From: kwong@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ka Chin Wong)

>By all means choose Actor.  An excellent object oriented programming
>language.  With Actor, you don't need SDK to build Windows application.
>You learn Actor and at the same time you learn OOP.

Be warned - although you don't *need* the SDK to program with ACTOR (3.0),
it is very advisable to own and be familiar with the SDK documentation.
In principle, you could use the most basic Windows facilites (menus, dialog
boxes, etc., from ACTOR without knowing SDK. The ACTOR equivalents are,
however, sparsely documented or not documented at all. (For example,
Window:changeMenu()). You need to look up the calls that such ACTOR methods
make to Windows to be able to use them. Many of the SDK facilities
(bitmaps, etc.) are not supported by ACTOR at all. (It's easy enough to
call the relevant Windows functions from ACTOR, but not without the SDK
manuals!)

>In a way, Actor is very similar to Smalltalk (Programming Environment).
>Actually, it is like a combination of LISP, Smalltalk, C, and Pascal,
>but with a simple, power (and at the same time easy to read) syntax.

Yes, ACTOR seems to be SmallTalk 72 (language and environment) with the
language syntax shuffled a bit. As such, it inherits many of the problems
of SmallTalk which SmallTalk 80 was designed to overcome. In addition, it
lacks the SmallTalk MVC paradigm (*) for designing the user interface, and
doesn't put anything in its place. To me, this is an extremely serious
omission, and leads inevitably to messy, unstructured applications.

Moreover, the documentation on the ACTOR kernel calls is thin or
nonexistent (compared to the SDK reference manual, say). If you're the sort
of person who's happy to find out what an ACTOR call does by reading the
code, trying it out, and then concluding "this seems to work, so it must be
OK", you'll find this quite acceptable. As you can probably tell, it makes
me annoyed and frustrated, especially as the SDK itself demonstrates a much
higher standard of documentation.

Dave Wells

Disclaimer: these are my views, not those of Hewlett Packard.

(*) Model-Pane-Dispatcher is the SmallTalk V equivalent.

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (03/02/91)

In article <72170001@otter.hpl.hp.com> adw@otter.hpl.hp.com (Dave Wells) writes:

   Yes, ACTOR seems to be SmallTalk 72 (language and environment) with the
   language syntax shuffled a bit. As such, it inherits many of the problems
   of SmallTalk which SmallTalk 80 was designed to overcome. In addition, it
   lacks the SmallTalk MVC paradigm (*) for designing the user interface, and
   doesn't put anything in its place. To me, this is an extremely serious
   omission, and leads inevitably to messy, unstructured applications.

What kind of experiences have people had with Smalltalk, Digitalk or
PP, on a 386 machine with Windows?  Can "real" applications be written
with Smalltalk?

-Mike

al@well.sf.ca.us (Alfred Fontes) (03/07/91)

kls@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Kenneth L Shellberg) writes:

>Sb: #ACTOR 3.0 only $99.99!!!

What if this is completely legit, and you just paid $600 for
the same thing?