[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Copying files under Windows

azarian@hpcc01.HP.COM (Randy Azarian) (03/09/91)

I am a novice programmer to Windows, so I hope someone can point me in the
right direction.

I need to write an installation program for a Windows program that already
exists.  Because I want to install the program's icon under Program Manager,
I have elected to make the installation program, itself, a Windows program
(as opposed to a DOS installation program).  As I see it, the first step I
need to overcome is to programmatically copy a file from a floppy drive to the
hard disk.  Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how I may begin?

-Thanks-

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (03/10/91)

In article <24650003@hpcc01.HP.COM> azarian@hpcc01.HP.COM (Randy Azarian) writes:
>I am a novice programmer to Windows, so I hope someone can point me in the
>right direction.
>
>I need to write an installation program for a Windows program that already
>exists.  Because I want to install the program's icon under Program Manager,
>I have elected to make the installation program, itself, a Windows program
>(as opposed to a DOS installation program).  As I see it, the first step I
>need to overcome is to programmatically copy a file from a floppy drive to the
>hard disk.  Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how I may begin?
>
>-Thanks-

This just came up. The answer is that Microsoft has a product called
the "Windows Developer's Notes" for $20. It includes a disk with the
source code to some installation routines, including a function to
copy files (with a progress indicator) and a function to communicate
with the Program Manager via DDE to install new items.

You can order this directly by calling Microsoft. I suspect that this
source code might be on Microsoft Online if you are a billionaire and
you can afford that.

--
Joel Spolsky          // And these streets, Quiet as a sleeping army
spolsky@cs.yale.edu   // Send their battered dreams to heaven.   _Paul Simon