[comp.windows.ms.programmer] ObjectVision - a warning

barryf@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Barry B. Floyd) (03/13/91)

david@cernvax.cern.ch (david foster) writes:

>From davidf@ntrlink.hq.interlink.com Tue Mar 12 07:45:45 1991
>From: davidf@ntrlink.hq.interlink.com (David Foster)
>Newsgroups: comp.windows.ms
>Subject: ObjectVision - a warning
>Date: 12 Mar 91 15:45:45 GMT

>Just a word of warning to would-be objectvision users. I am a Borland
>fan, so when I saw a stack of objectvision boxes in my local pc store
>I dived in with my $99.99 and bought it. Great, I love it, a forms based
>constructor kit for windows !!! But what are these references in the
>manual to the "objectvision runtime" to distribute an application ? A
>quick call to Borland solved that one. Yes, you can distribute applications
>but the runtime version (!) of objectvision wil cost you $495 !!!!!!
>Isn`t this a variation on the "bait and switch" scam ? Well, it does say
>on the back of the box the "runtime version is available" - it pays to
>read ALL the small print first I guess, but then I would have thought the
>runtime would have cost less, but in effect its the distribution license
>you are paying for. Borlands reaction ? "We can give you a return reference
>code sir" Thanks Borland !

>So, netlanders, what other tools has anyone had experience of that provide
>functionality like objectvision, basically a toolkit for creating data entry
>forms. Input would be greatly appreciated, as always.

>p.s. Would the $99 ACTOR solution provide similar functionality ?

Does Object Vision come with library files (DLL's) which one can use
without the runtime or development version of Object Vision? (this
question may bespeak my ignorance of such matters, so be it). I am
somewhat more familiar with Lattice's dbIII libraries for Microsoft
and Lattice C. These may have been updated for use with C++ and/or
Windows. I got them as a C 5.x and DOS library. To the best of my
knowledge you can distribute your compiled code without any further
purchases.

barry

| Barry B. Floyd                   \\\       barry_floyd@mts.rpi.edu |
| Manager Information Systems - HR    \\\          usere9w9@rpitsmts |
+-Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute--------------------troy, ny 12180-+

bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) (03/14/91)

In article <4504@cernvax.cern.ch>, david@cernvax.cern.ch (david foster) writes:
> [...] I am a Borland
> fan, so when I saw a stack of objectvision boxes in my local pc store
> I dived in with my $99.99 and bought it. Great, I love it, a forms based
> constructor kit for windows !!! But what are these references in the
> manual to the "objectvision runtime" to distribute an application ? A
> quick call to Borland solved that one. Yes, you can distribute applications
> but the runtime version (!) of objectvision wil cost you $495 !!!!!!
> Isn`t this a variation on the "bait and switch" scam ?

Is that $495 a one-time charge (that allows you to write ObjectVision
forms in a format for distribution) or a royalty for EACH package you
distribute?  I suspect the former, though I've seen some rather strange
licensing schemes that are similar to the latter.

I can understand your feeling that you were the subject of "bait and
switch" - the terms should probably have been made clearer, especially
since there's apparently a fairly significant charge for the runtime
version.  But if you're distributing forms commercially, the $495
would not by itself be a significant hardship if it's a one-time fee -
you'd just have to build it into your pricing structure, taking into
account the number of copies you would be selling, etc.  On the other
hand, if it's a per-copy royalty, that would probably price you out of
most markets and you'd have every right to be upset.

If you're looking at commercial enterprises (forms generation doesn't
sound like the typical public domain application), you really ought
to inform yourself of ALL the costs before you get too far into it -
even then you may (more likely _will_) get surprises.  Starting a
business is often rather expen$ive ...

						Bruce C. Wright