[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Windows 3.1

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (03/12/91)

Anyone heard anything about Windows 3.1, "Multimedia Windows"?  Is the
Borland C++ compiler right now capable of generating apps for it?  Will I
need an SDK (I use only BC right now)...?  I wanna right GOOD games for
Windows, but it ain't happening with its current state of animation.

Brian

heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) (03/13/91)

In article <27407@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:

>Anyone heard anything about Windows 3.1, "Multimedia Windows"?

The latest issue of Microsoft Systems Journal has an article by Petzold
on the Windows 3.1 Multimedia Development Kit.  One amusing point was that
it raises the ante on the minimum system to run Multimedia.
Robert

johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) (03/15/91)

In article <27407@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>Anyone heard anything about Windows 3.1, "Multimedia Windows"?

The Multimedia Extensions for Windows and Windows 3.1 are not the same thing.
For a good overview of the capabilities of the extensions see the Microsoft
Systems Journal March 1991 issue.  The only things that I know about Windows 3.1
are what Bill Gates has said in speeches and Microsoft statements.  To wit:
	1) It will feature True Type scaleable font technology.
	2) File Manager won't be such a snail.

Unfortunately, due to agreements that all developers have signed, nobody is
going to be able to answer your questions about the extensions or Windows 3.1.
Articles like the one in MSJ and the public statements Microsoft makes are
going to be your only sources for info until the products are released.

>Is the Borland C++ compiler right now capable of generating apps for it?
>Will I need an SDK (I use only BC right now)...?

I think I can answer those without violating any agreements... Yes, you can
generate apps with BC++.  No, you won't need an SDK.

John Munsch