[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Objectvision - a warning, & C++ too ?

david@cernvax.cern.ch (david foster) (03/14/91)

>In article <4504@cernvax.cern.ch>, david@cernvax.cern.ch (david foster) writes:
>> [...] I am a Borland
>> fan, so when I saw a stack of objectvision boxes in my local pc store
>> I dived in with my $99.99 and bought it. Great, I love it, a forms based
>> but the runtime version (!) of objectvision wil cost you $495 !!!!!!
>
>forms in a format for distribution) or a royalty for EACH package you
>Is that $495 a one-time charge ..........

>						Bruce C. Wright
Borland have confirmed that the normal cost for objectvision will be $495+$495
(the runtime is for an unlimited license). As Bruce points out for commercial use
then the price is reasonable :-) I was going to use it for much smaller distribution.
Its amazing how many applications fall into the forms category though, and objectvision
is certainly a nice tool. As I have read on the net (and spoken to) some people
about objectvision applications I felt it was necessary to share the licensing
information. By the way, Borland reminded me that there is a license charge for
distributing applications based on Borland C++ 2.0 ($147) !!

                David Foster (davidf@interlink.com)

tinglof@hdlite.enet.dec.com (03/15/91)

In article <4526@cernvax.cern.ch>, david@cernvax.cern.ch (david foster) writes:
|>By the way, Borland reminded me that there is a license charge for
|>distributing applications based on Borland C++ 2.0 ($147) !!
|>
|>                David Foster (davidf@interlink.com)

You scared me there for a moment!  The license agreement that comes with
BC++ allows you to give away or sell porgrams compiled with C++ as long
as all copies contain a copyright notice (either yours or Borland's).  This is
the same as all past versions of Turbo C.

Michael Tinglof
tinglof@hdlite.dec.com

sidney@borland.com (Sidney Markowitz) (03/15/91)

In article <4526@cernvax.cern.ch> david@cernvax.cern.ch (david foster) writes:
>By the way, Borland reminded me that there is a license charge for
>distributing applications based on Borland C++ 2.0 ($147) !!

I don't know who at Borland may have said this, but it is not true.
There is no royalty or license fee required for distributing
applications built using Borland C++, or any Borland language product.

 -- sidney markowitz <sidney@borland.com>
    Borland International (Languages - R&D)

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (03/15/91)

david foster <david@cernvax.cern.ch> writes:
> Borland have confirmed that the normal cost for objectvision will be $495 +
> $495 (the runtime is for an unlimited license). As Bruce points out for
> commercial use then the price is reasonable :-) I was going to use it for
> much smaller distribution.
> [...] By the way, Borland reminded me that there is a license charge for
> distributing applications based on Borland C++ 2.0 ($147) !!

A distribution charge for BC++?!?  So Borland is cheaper than MSC+SDK, but
then you spend $100 on manuals and $150 on a licensing fee, and you're
almost at the SDK price --- and still without a debugging kernel.  I'm not
impressed with Borland's hidden back-end costs...

Based on this, and on another article where the BC++ executable was 840K
compared to MSC's 720K, I think that if we do get BC++, it'll be for
development only, and the final distribution versions will be compiled with
Microsoft C and SDK.

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]