[comp.windows.ms.programmer] BC++ protected mode under Win3/enhanced

pwt@otter.hpl.hp.com (Peter Toft) (03/13/91)

Is it possible to run the protected mode Borland C++ 2.0 compiler
under Windows3 in enhanced mode?

I've set up the pif file to hand out 1o24Kb of XMS memory, but the
compiler doesn't seem to be able to access it.  It fails to run with a
message something like :

"OKb of extended memory available, 706Kb required".

It will run OK in Windows standard mode.

Peter.

Peter Toft,				ARPANET	pwt@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories, 		JANET	pwt@lb.hp.co.uk
Filton Road,				UUCP	...!mcvax!ukc!hplb!pwt
Stoke Gifford,				CSNET	pwt%hplb.csnet@relay.cs.net
Bristol.				HPdesk	Peter TOFT / HPC600 / 05
BS12 6QZ.				Phone	UK (0272) 799910 ext 24245
United Kingdom.					Int'l +44 272 799910 ext 24245

pwt@otter.hpl.hp.com (Peter Toft) (03/13/91)

Ah, I just found the string that dealt with this very question.
Please ignore my posting, and sorry for wasting bandwidth.

paik@lance.tis.llnl.gov (Yunki Paik) (03/15/91)

>Is it possible to run the protected mode Borland C++ 2.0 compiler
>under Windows3 in enhanced mode?

Straight from the horse's mouth (Borland tech support):  No.

I asked them the same question. Run Windows in real mode.

--
Yunki Paik
Lawrence Livermore National Lab.

mwick@.com (Mark Wick) (03/15/91)

In article <1356@ncis.tis.llnl.gov> paik@lance.tis.llnl.gov (Yunki Paik) writes:

>>Is it possible to run the protected mode Borland C++ 2.0 compiler
>>under Windows3 in enhanced mode?
>>

>Straight from the horse's mouth (Borland tech support):  No.
>
>I asked them the same question. Run Windows in real mode.

Wouldn't you rather run it in standard mode?  I thought that the only
limitation imposed was against enhanced mode.  Running it in real mode
means you could do little else...

Mark

sidney@borland.com (Sidney Markowitz) (03/15/91)

In <1356@ncis.tis.llnl.gov> paik@lance.tis.llnl.gov (Yunki Paik) writes:
>>Is it possible to run the protected mode Borland C++ 2.0 compiler
>>under Windows3 in enhanced mode?
>Straight from the horse's mouth (Borland tech support):  No.
>I asked them the same question. Run Windows in real mode.

That's real mode or standard mode. But first you have to preload
TKERNEL. Even better, before that, look in the Table of Contents of
the User's Guide where you'll find the heading "Windows and protected
mode" and maybe a few other useful things.

A protected mode compiler would have to be DPMI compliant to run under
Windows enhanced mode. The only BC++ protected mode tool that is DPMI
compliant is the assembler (TASM). We are converting the rest from the
older VCPI standard (which is what TKERNEL supports), but DPMI
compatibility wasn't considered worth holding up the whole product
for.

 -- sidney markowitz <sidney@borland.com>
    Borland International (Languages - R&D)

barryf@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Barry B. Floyd) (03/15/91)

mwick@.com (Mark Wick) writes:

>In article <1356@ncis.tis.llnl.gov> paik@lance.tis.llnl.gov (Yunki Paik) writes:
>>>
>>>Is it possible to run the protected mode Borland C++ 2.0 compiler
>>>under Windows3 in enhanced mode?
>>>

>>Straight from the horse's mouth (Borland tech support):  No.
>>
>>I asked them the same question. Run Windows in real mode.
>>

>Wouldn't you rather run it in standard mode?  I thought that the only
>limitation imposed was against enhanced mode.  Running it in real mode
>means you could do little else...

>Mark

Is the BC++ 2.0 compiler exclusively a protected mode application, or is
that an option? If I were to purchase BC++ 2.0 and given that I run Win 3.0
in enhanced mode would I be able to compile code using BC++ 2.0, without
exiting Win 3.0 (enhanced mode) and running Win 3.0 in standard/real mode?
(I have a 386, of course, and would like to remain in enhanced mode).

barry

| Barry B. Floyd                   \\\       barry_floyd@mts.rpi.edu |
| Manager Information Systems - HR    \\\          usere9w9@rpitsmts |
+-Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute--------------------troy, ny 12180-+

jim@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Jim Ruehlin, CFC User) (03/19/91)

In <_{*=X!{@rpi.edu> barryf@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Barry B. Floyd) writes:

>Is the BC++ 2.0 compiler exclusively a protected mode application, or is
>that an option? If I were to purchase BC++ 2.0 and given that I run Win 3.0
>in enhanced mode would I be able to compile code using BC++ 2.0, without
>exiting Win 3.0 (enhanced mode) and running Win 3.0 in standard/real mode?
>(I have a 386, of course, and would like to remain in enhanced mode).
>barry

The word I got from asking a Borland techie this question is that BC++ is
a PROTECTED mode application.  This is because BC++ uses it's own methods
for accessing up to 16MB of memory (using VPMI format (I hope that's the
acronym)).  If you run in enhanced mode, Windows has complete control of
memory management, and uses the new DPMI format.  In this case, BC++ can
only access the good ol' 640K of DOS memory (as far as Windows is concerned
in enhanced mode BC++ is just another DOS program).

So I think you could use BC++ in enhanced mode if you only need 640K of
memory to compile (HA!).  Otherwise, you need to run in protected so BC++
can do it's own memory management thing.

I was also told that Borland is working to make this an enhanced mode app.,
perhaps next release...

- Jim Ruehiln