[comp.windows.ms.programmer] A Good Windows Programmers Editor

chavis@hambnd.enet.dec.com (Ira Chavis SHR1-4/O20 508-841-3415) (03/12/91)

	Can someone recomend a good windows progammers editor.   I have
	used most of the successive releases of WinEdit by Wilson Shareware
	and have had some problems which have bit me bad.   Its gotten better
	over times but still get lots of UAE's nightly.     Can anyone with
	any experience relay this information.    Commercial or shareware
	is fine.

	Thanks,
	Ira Chavis (back to my old character editor in a window)

keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) (03/12/91)

chavis@hambnd.enet.dec.com (Ira Chavis SHR1-4/O20 508-841-3415) writes:

>	Can someone recomend a good windows progammers editor.   I have
>	used most of the successive releases of WinEdit by Wilson Shareware
>	and have had some problems which have bit me bad.   Its gotten better
>	over times but still get lots of UAE's nightly.     Can anyone with
>	any experience relay this information.    Commercial or shareware
>	is fine.

I don't know if any decent ones are out now, but as soon as someon ecomes up
with emacs for MSWin, I'll be first in line!

John Keating
--
 +---------------------------------------+ +---------------------------+
 | Looking for genealogical histories of | | keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu |

robind@code3.com (Robin Dunn) (03/14/91)

In article <6632@rex.cs.tulane.edu> keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) writes:
>chavis@hambnd.enet.dec.com (Ira Chavis SHR1-4/O20 508-841-3415) writes:
>
>>	Can someone recomend a good windows progammers editor.   I have
>>	used most of the successive releases of WinEdit by Wilson Shareware
>>	and have had some problems which have bit me bad.   Its gotten better
>>	over times but still get lots of UAE's nightly.     Can anyone with
>>	any experience relay this information.    Commercial or shareware
>>	is fine.
>
>I don't know if any decent ones are out now, but as soon as someon ecomes up
>with emacs for MSWin, I'll be first in line!
>
>John Keating

It's been done!  Micro Emacs has been ported to MSWin.  You can ftp
it from cica.cica.indiana.edu, currently in the /pub/pc/win3/uploads
directory as MEWIN_OK.ZIP and MEWINDOC.ZIP.  I just downloaded it this
morning so I can't really vouch for it, but it ran fairly good, and
didn't crash, so we'll see.

Robin P. Dunn                                       ...!uunet!code3!robind
3M Health Information Systems                             robind@code3.com
Code3 Product Development                                   (801) 265-4820

zippo@freja.diku.dk (Ole Sas Thrane) (03/16/91)

Keating) writes:
> chavis@hambnd.enet.dec.com (Ira Chavis SHR1-4/O20 508-841-3415) writes:
>
> >	Can someone recomend a good windows progammers editor.   I have
> >	used most of the successive releases of WinEdit by Wilson Shareware
> >	and have had some problems which have bit me bad.   Its gotten better
> >	over times but still get lots of UAE's nightly.     Can anyone with
> >	any experience relay this information.    Commercial or shareware
> >	is fine.
>
> I don't know if any decent ones are out now, but as soon as someon ecomes up
> with emacs for MSWin, I'll be first in line!
>
> John Keating
> --

Well, it has been done !!  It's shareware and you can get it from
cica.cica.indiana.edu (directory : pub/pc/win3/uploads and files :
mewin_ok.zip and mewindoc.zip)

The program still needs a little work, but is quite usable.

Ole Thrane

|  Let's Party ! - Arnold Schwarzenegger

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (03/17/91)

Ole Sas Thrane (zippo@freja.diku.dk) writes that MicroEmacs for
Windows is available from cica.cica.indiana.edu.

I downloaded it; looks really neat. But I wondered where the source
code is? I would like to add menu support and stuff. Who is working on
this port? Are they on the net?

Also, I can't figure out which initialization file WinEmacs uses. It
doesn't seem to be reading EMACS.RC _or_ EMACS.W3. Any ideas?

--
Joel Spolsky          // And these streets, Quiet as a sleeping army
spolsky@cs.yale.edu   // Send their battered dreams to heaven.   _Paul Simon

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (03/17/91)

To answer my own question, it seems Windows Emacs _does_ read
emacs.rc; I just had something in there binding C-z to "inferior
shell" which doesn't work in the windows version.

I'd still like to know who did the port and where the source is...

--
Joel Spolsky          // And these streets, Quiet as a sleeping army
spolsky@cs.yale.edu   // Send their battered dreams to heaven.   _Paul Simon

mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) (03/18/91)

WRT uEmacs for Windows, I like it, but can't figure out how to:

a) Repeat a search? In uEmacs for DOS, Alt-s would search for whatever I had
   searched before, but in uEmacs for Windows, I get a key not bound. I am
   using the same emacs.rc file that I used with uemacs for dos, and have not
   modified that original. My suspicion is that the winmain loop does a
   TranslateAccelerators, which would think that Alt-<something> is a menu
   accelerator and therefore declares that no such key exists.
b) Where exactly is the information needed to write these .cmd files? For
   example, I would like to write .cmd files to comment region, indent region
   detent region, etc. but I can't find any info in the doc file. Perhaps I
   am missing something obvious here?

cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) (03/18/91)

From article <29515@cs.yale.edu>, by spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky):

> I'd still like to know who did the port and where the source is...

Check the About Box.

|Tom Hite					|  The views expressed by me |
|Manager, Product development			|  are mine, not necessarily |
|CADSI (Computer Aided Design Software Inc.	|  the views of CADSI.       |

cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) (03/18/91)

From article <1991Mar17.161430.224@athena.mit.edu>, by mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah):
> WRT uEmacs for Windows, I like it, but can't figure out how to:
>
> a) Repeat a search? In uEmacs for DOS, Alt-s would search for whatever I had
>    searched before, but in uEmacs for Windows, I get a key not bound. I am
>    using the same emacs.rc file that I used with uemacs for dos, and have not
>    modified that original. My suspicion is that the winmain loop does a
>    TranslateAccelerators, which would think that Alt-<something> is a menu
>    accelerator and therefore declares that no such key exists.

Are you sure that your emacs.rc file is being read correctly???
My stuff works flawlessly.  F3 is normally bound to finding the next
occurence of a search word.  For sure, make sure the Emacs stuff is
on your path.  Take out the set $sres VGA commands too, that does't
work in the Windows version.  Maybe your emacs.rc file is dying at that
point??

> b) Where exactly is the information needed to write these .cmd files? For
>    example, I would like to write .cmd files to comment region, indent region
>    detent region, etc. but I can't find any info in the doc file. Perhaps I
>    am missing something obvious here?

Its all in the docs.  The docs are just a little skimpy.

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar17.161430.224@athena.mit.edu> mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) writes:
>WRT uEmacs for Windows, I like it, but can't figure out how to:
>
>a) Repeat a search? In uEmacs for DOS, Alt-s would search for whatever I had
>   searched before, but in uEmacs for Windows, I get a key not bound. I am
>   using the same emacs.rc file that I used with uemacs for dos, and have not
>   modified that original. My suspicion is that the winmain loop does a
>   TranslateAccelerators, which would think that Alt-<something> is a menu
>   accelerator and therefore declares that no such key exists.

You are probably right. You have to use Esc-S, etc (i.e. use "Esc" as
the meta prefix key).

>b) Where exactly is the information needed to write these .cmd files? For
>   example, I would like to write .cmd files to comment region, indent region
>   detent region, etc. but I can't find any info in the doc file. Perhaps I
>   am missing something obvious here?

Hmm. I think there is a seperate document about this... look in the
standard MicroEmacs release, which is widely available, e.g. from
wuarchive.wustl.edu and wsmr-simtel20.army.mil.

--
Joel Spolsky          // And these streets, Quiet as a sleeping army
spolsky@cs.yale.edu   // Send their battered dreams to heaven.   _Paul Simon

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar17.161430.224@athena.mit.edu> mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) writes:
>WRT uEmacs for Windows, I like it, but can't figure out how to:
>
>a) Repeat a search? In uEmacs for DOS, Alt-s would search for whatever I had
>   searched before, but in uEmacs for Windows, I get a key not bound. I am
>   using the same emacs.rc file that I used with uemacs for dos, and have not
>   modified that original.

I figured out the answer to this. Turns out that in the DOS version,
you can bind to Alt-key combinations using "A-X" in the emacs.rc file,
for example:

bind-to-key previous-word A-B

But in the Windows you use "A-x" (lower case):

bind-to-key previous-word A-b

SO: since I am using the same emacs.rc for both, I just put both
bindings in there.

Another note: I found you can test for the DOS version as follows:

!if &seq $version "3.10"
	; Whatever you want to do only on the DOS version, like
        ; setting colors or binding i-shell.
!endif

This way you can use the same emacs.rc for both setups. The Windows
version sets $version to "3.10e".

Finally, don't try "M-x describe-variables", it causes a UAE.

--
Joel Spolsky          // And these streets, Quiet as a sleeping army
spolsky@cs.yale.edu   // Send their battered dreams to heaven.   _Paul Simon

hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) (03/18/91)

anyone porting gnu-emacs to Windows?

chavis@hambnd.enet.dec.com (Ira Chavis SHR1-4/O20 508-841-3415) (03/18/91)

	I downloaded the new version of Winedit V1.0E this weekend from Compu$$$.
	It appears solid,   I havnt broken it yet in a couple of nites of use.
Sorry,
	cant upload it here,  no FTP access.   Maybe someone else could

emanuele@overlf.UUCP (Mark A. Emanuele) (03/18/91)

Where can one get a copy of u-emacs for windows3.0

--
Mark A. Emanuele
V.P. Engineering  Overleaf, Inc.

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (03/19/91)

Here's some info on a editor for windows called EDIX/GS.  It is available
for MS-Windows and OS/2 PM and has the following features:
	- Full GUI support
	- Support for DDE via clipboard
	- Multiple files and buffers in multiple editing windows.
	- Direct output capture from subprocesses (like compiling a buffer).
	- Macro processor for defining own commands.
	- Control panel for changeing default configuration and viewing the
	  status of all active files.
	- Powerful column-handling features.
	- Versatile regular expression search and replace.
	- Block moves, copies and deletions within and between files.
	- Adjustable scrolling within windows.
	- Keystroke and mouse command recording and playback.
	- Unlimited keyboard redefinition.
	- Comprehensive on-line help.
	- Complete documentation, including tutorial.
	- Compatibility across operating systems.
	- Compatibility with character-based versions of EDIX.

The price is $245 for a single user liscence.  Call for other liscence
agreement.  A working demo is $10 (discount applied to order).

This can be purchased from:

	Emerging Technology Consultants, Inc.
	3405 Penrose Place.
	Boulder, CO 80301.
	Tel (303)447-9495
	FAX (303)447-9241

BTW: This was written in XVT for those people wondering about where are
the programs written in XVT.

| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 | FAX (617)890-8694         | bill@polygen.com            |