[comp.windows.ms.programmer] #1 WM_SETFONT?, #2 Hardware Colormap??, #3 System Menu??

mh2620@sarek.sbc.com (Mark Horstman [314-235-3417]) (03/21/91)

I'm fairly new to Win3 and DOS programming to please bear with me...

Question #1:

In Message-ID: <1991Mar11.083658.27758@ecn.nl>, rijnsburger@ecn.nl
 (Wim Rijnsburger) writes:

> Subject: Re: SDK scrolling lists with fixed width fonts? - Summary
> Date: 11 Mar 91 08:36:58 GMT
>
> It was a very good tip of bonneau@hyper.hyper.com (Paul Bonneau) to use
> the SETFONT message. This approach was straight forward and appeared
> very simple to implement (what seldom can be said of SDK facilities).
>
> Here comes the essential part of my code:
>
> 	hFixedFont = GetStockObject(OEM_FIXED_FONT);
> 	SendDlgItemMessage(hMyDialog, LB_SECTOR, WM_SETFONT, hFixedFont, FALSE)
>
> That's all you need to get fixed-pitch font in dialog items!

I've tried to use all of the default fixed width fonts in my scroll lists
this way but nothing happens.  The return code from the two above functions
is OK, but my dialog list box still uses the default system proportional
font.  I'd like my columns to line up nice and neat in my list box, but I
can't seem to get this to work!

Question #2:

After much hair loss I have found out (through net replies to my last post
thank you all very much!!) that the standard VGA driver for Win3 doesn't
support color palette manipulation :-(. Can I go behind Win3's back and set
the hardware colormap when I receive a WM_SETFOCUS message, then reset the
hardware colormap when I receive a WM_KILLFOCUS? If I use the ?_PAL_COLORS
wUsage parameter in SetDIBits() will Win3 muck with my pixel values to match
them as closely as possible to the System Color Palette (which may be invalid
if my behind-the-back colormap manipulation works)? How do I set the hardware
colormap (I'm real familiar with UNIX and C, but new to DOS programming) I
NEED ALL SIXTEEN COLORS!!!!!

Question #3:

How can I get the System Menu on a window I bring to life with CreateWindow()
look like a Dialog Box System Menu?  My Dialog Box System Menus only have
'Move' and 'Close' on them.  My CreateWindow() window has all the stuff, even
tho' most of them are 'greyed' out?

Thanks in advance.

--
Mark Horstman