[comp.windows.ms.programmer] WRT Problems..

tierney@belegost.endor.cs.psu.edu (Michael B Tierney) (03/21/91)

I'm having a problem with the Whitewater Resource Toolkit that came with
BC++.  Whenever I try to start it, the drive accesses for a bit, then WRT
returns with an 'Out of Memory' error.  This is in 386 Enhanced mode on
a 386 20Mhz 4Meg, 80MegHD with something like 14Meg Virtual free.  Is it
just me or is 14Meg a bit much space for any program?  Anyone have any
insights?  Thanks in advance,
                                           Mike
--
Mike Tierney                 "Religion and sex are power plays, manipulate
tierney@endor.cs.psu.edu     the people for the money they'll pay, selling

Mike Dahmus <MXD118@psuvm.psu.edu> (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar21.152756.21508@athena.mit.edu>, mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan
M Shah) says:

>In article <t.8G$a!41@cs.psu.edu> tierney@belegost.endor.cs.psu.edu (Michael B
>Tierney) writes:
>>I'm having a problem with the Whitewater Resource Toolkit that came with
>>BC++.  Whenever I try to start it, the drive accesses for a bit, then WRT
>>returns with an 'Out of Memory' error.  This is in 386 Enhanced mode on
>>a 386 20Mhz 4Meg, 80MegHD with something like 14Meg Virtual free.  Is it
>>just me or is 14Meg a bit much space for any program?  Anyone have any
>>insights?  Thanks in advance,
>>                                           Mike
>
>No kidding. On my machine with 8 Meg and 24 Meg virtual free, WRT will come
>up but run out of memory if I try to save anything. Moreover, it takes
>more than 5 secs to even come up (ie, turn the cursor into an hourglass to
>tell me that its loading!)

That's funny,  because on my machine (PS/2 model 70 386, 60mb HD, 3 meg mem),
I haven't had any problems,  and it loads in about 10 seconds total.  And
this is after I had to turn off my SMARTDRV disk cache in order to have enough
memory to run BC++ in protected mode.
Michael E. Dahmus              MXD118@PSUVM / dahmus@endor.cs.psu.edu

mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) (03/21/91)

In article <t.8G$a!41@cs.psu.edu> tierney@belegost.endor.cs.psu.edu (Michael B Tierney) writes:
>I'm having a problem with the Whitewater Resource Toolkit that came with
>BC++.  Whenever I try to start it, the drive accesses for a bit, then WRT
>returns with an 'Out of Memory' error.  This is in 386 Enhanced mode on
>a 386 20Mhz 4Meg, 80MegHD with something like 14Meg Virtual free.  Is it
>just me or is 14Meg a bit much space for any program?  Anyone have any
>insights?  Thanks in advance,
>                                           Mike

No kidding. On my machine with 8 Meg and 24 Meg virtual free, WRT will come
up but run out of memory if I try to save anything. Moreover, it takes
more than 5 secs to even come up (ie, turn the cursor into an hourglass to
tell me that its loading!)

For all of you thinking about Actor, this should tell you about the feasibility
of developing useable products in Actor (WRT seems to be written in Actor,
because it does need the wrt.ima file).

One thing though: its a great satisfaction to delete the darned thing off your
hard drive and recover close to a Meg from it!

Milan
.

rvd@bunker.UUCP (Robert Del Favero Jr.) (03/22/91)

In article <t.8G$a!41@cs.psu.edu> tierney@belegost.endor.cs.psu.edu (Michael B Tierney) writes:
>I'm having a problem with the Whitewater Resource Toolkit that came with
>BC++.  Whenever I try to start it, the drive accesses for a bit, then WRT
>returns with an 'Out of Memory' error.  This is in 386 Enhanced mode on
>a 386 20Mhz 4Meg, 80MegHD with something like 14Meg Virtual free.  Is it
>just me or is 14Meg a bit much space for any program?  Anyone have any
>insights?  Thanks in advance,

My bet is you're using the Debug Kernel for Windows, right?  I had a similar
problem with WRT under the Debugging Kernel.  It doesn't happen to me when I
switch to the Standard Kernel.  You might try that. (Apparently WRT tries
to get memory in the wrong way, and the debug kernel takes exception to it.)
(Also, don't forget to delete all those Actor temporary files in your TEMP
directory from all the WRT crashes.)
Robert V. Del Favero, Jr.            ISC-Bunker Ramo, an Olivetti Company
rvd@clunker.shel.isc-br.com                     Shelton, Connecticut, USA

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar21.152756.21508@athena.mit.edu> mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) writes:
>In article <t.8G$a!41@cs.psu.edu> tierney@belegost.endor.cs.psu.edu (Michael B Tierney) writes:
>>I'm having a problem with the Whitewater Resource Toolkit that came with
>>BC++.  Whenever I try to start it, the drive accesses for a bit, then WRT
>>returns with an 'Out of Memory' error.  This is in 386 Enhanced mode on
>>a 386 20Mhz 4Meg, 80MegHD with something like 14Meg Virtual free.  Is it
>>just me or is 14Meg a bit much space for any program?  Anyone have any
>>insights?  Thanks in advance,
>>                                           Mike
>
>No kidding. On my machine with 8 Meg and 24 Meg virtual free, WRT will come
>up but run out of memory if I try to save anything. Moreover, it takes
>more than 5 secs to even come up (ie, turn the cursor into an hourglass to
>tell me that its loading!)
>
>For all of you thinking about Actor, this should tell you about the feasibility
>of developing useable products in Actor (WRT seems to be written in Actor,
>because it does need the wrt.ima file).
>
>One thing though: its a great satisfaction to delete the darned thing off your
>hard drive and recover close to a Meg from it!

I have WRT that came with my BC++ upgrade. While lacking a few features, it
is still pretty nice for building .RES files. A lot better than making a .RC
file by hand. The dialog editor is pretty nice too.

I don't have any problems with it. I have 8Meg physical memory, and 24Meg
virtual memory free. It is a little slow coming up, and launching editors, but
not terribly so. Once up, performance is acceptable.

Perhaps you are running out of system resources? I have heard that this will
cause an "Out of Memory" error, even if virtual memory is still available.

Maybe you have tons of groups and icons in progman, this supposedly is a
notorious resource user.

Look at your setup before condeming a program.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254