[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Link problem using CodeView

mwick@.com (Mark Wick) (03/15/91)

We have a very large application which we are trying to move to Windows
3.0.  After considerable monkeying around with the C files, we were able to
compile all of them; however, we have not gotten the entire application to
link when using CodeView - the error is L1053 - out of memory for symbol
table.  Ugh.  One current (possible) solution is to get another linker that
understands the CodeView syntax and runs in extended memory.  It would be
nice, though, if we could use the Microsoft linker.  The link parameters we
are using are:

/SEGMENTS:256 /align:32 /noe /nod /CODEVIEW

The machine is not a problem:  33MHz 386 Compaq with 8 Meg of extended
memory and a 300Meg hard drive.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

richardh@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Richard Hancock) (03/21/91)

/ hpopd:comp.windows.ms.programmer / mwick@.com (Mark Wick) /  2:27 am  Mar 15, 1991 /

> We have a very large application which we are trying to move to Windows
> 3.0.  After considerable monkeying around with the C files, we were able to
> compile all of them; however, we have not gotten the entire application to
> link when using CodeView - the error is L1053 - out of memory for symbol
> table.  Ugh.

We had a similar problem. The work-around (?) is to only selectively compile
with the Zi compiler switch, ie. compile only those modules you're particularly
interested in.

Richard.

boyd_m@intertel.UUCP (Mark Boyd) (03/21/91)

> table.  Ugh.  One current (possible) solution is to get another linker that
> understands the CodeView syntax and runs in extended memory.  It would be
> nice, though, if we could use the Microsoft linker.  The link parameters we
> are using are:

We did just that.  We found the OPTLINKS linker (made by SLR Systems) that is
much better than the Microsoft linker.  It will link files for DOS, Windows
2.10, Windows 3.0, and OS/2.  Here are some of the benchmarks:

                Microsoft linker        OPLINKS linker          Size
                ----------------        --------------          ----
.EXE w/o CVW    00:01:06                00:00:30                720K
.EXE with CVW   00:02:12                00:00:36                1500K

Mark Boyd
Inter-Tel, Inc.

pcb@basin04.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (03/22/91)

In article <36990004@hpopd.pwd.hp.com> richardh@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Richard Hancock) writes:
>/ hpopd:comp.windows.ms.programmer / mwick@.com (Mark Wick) /  2:27 am  Mar 15, 1991 /
>
>> We have a very large application which we are trying to move to Windows
>> 3.0.  After considerable monkeying around with the C files, we were able to
>> compile all of them; however, we have not gotten the entire application to
>> link when using CodeView - the error is L1053 - out of memory for symbol
>> table.  Ugh.
>
>We had a similar problem. The work-around (?) is to only selectively compile
>with the Zi compiler switch, ie. compile only those modules you're particularly
>interested in.
>Richard.
hmmmm...I have an application that is 38,000 lines of code, numerous
obj files.  I have no problem and compile under a command.com shell
while running windows.  My compile line is
cc=cl -c -AM -Gsw -Zpei -Od -I\bin\windev\include -I\bin\c600\include -NT

and this is the main compile line in the makefile
rtc.exe: rtc.def rtc.res \
        ABOUTDLG.OBJ AXISDLG.OBJ CARTDLG.OBJ COMDLG.OBJ COPYSDLG.OBJ \
        DMTIMDLG.OBJ FILEDLG.OBJ FLUIDS.OBJ GCOMDLG.OBJ GENDLG.OBJ \
        GRIDDLG.OBJ HELPDLG.OBJ  \
        LABELDLG.OBJ LLOGDLG.OBJ LNDOTDLG.OBJ MISC.OBJ MPDLG.OBJ \
        PLOTCART.OBJ PLOTFUNC.OBJ PLOTGEN.OBJ PLOTGRAP.OBJ \
        PLOTKERN.OBJ PLOTLLOG.OBJ PLOTMOUS.OBJ  \
        PLOTSLOG.OBJ PRINTDTA.OBJ PRINTHP.OBJ PRINTSRO.OBJ \
        PRINTPUM.OBJ RCOMDLG.OBJ READCFG.OBJ READDTA.OBJ RTC.OBJ SLOGDLG.OBJ \
        TICKDLG.OBJ TIMEDLG.OBJ VIEWDLG.OBJ WRITECFG.OBJ
        link @rtc.lnk
        rc rtc.res
It works fine.

pete@Octopus.COM (Pete Holzmann) (03/23/91)

>> mwick@.com (Mark Wick) /  2:27 am  Mar 15, 1991 /
>>> We have a very large application which we are trying to move to Windows
	      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	      [and had trouble linking]

pcb@basin04.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>hmmmm...I have an application that is 38,000 lines of code, numerous
				       ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>obj files.  I have no problem and compile under a command.com shell
>while running windows...
>It works fine.

Your application is medium-large, not very large. You'll know you're at
the very large stage when the linker stops working. When the compiler
runs out of heap space while it is still working its way through your
include files. When you can't debug your program even under Magic CodeView.
THEN you've got a very large application! May you never have to work on
such a beast :-) :-). (I, unfortunately, have and am. Selective use of
/Zi/Od is only the first stage of this particular disease :-))

Pete
--
Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises   |(if you're a techie Christian & are
19611 La Mar Ct., Cupertino, CA 95014 |interested in helping w/ the Great

mwick@.com (Mark Wick) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar22.190524.2666@Octopus.COM> pete@octopus.COM (Pete Holzmann) writes:
>>> mwick@.com (Mark Wick) /  2:27 am  Mar 15, 1991 /
>	      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>	      [and had trouble linking]
>
>> richardh@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Richard Hancock) writes:
>>>We had a similar problem. The work-around (?) is to only selectively compile
>>>with the Zi compiler switch, ie. compile only those modules you're
>>>particularly interested in.
>
>pcb@basin04.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>>hmmmm...I have an application that is 38,000 lines of code, numerous
>				       ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>obj files.  I have no problem and compile under a command.com shell
>>while running windows...
>>It works fine.
>
>Your application is medium-large, not very large. You'll know you're at
>the very large stage when the linker stops working. When the compiler
>runs out of heap space while it is still working its way through your
>include files. When you can't debug your program even under Magic CodeView.
>THEN you've got a very large application! May you never have to work on
>such a beast :-) :-). (I, unfortunately, have and am. Selective use of
>/Zi/Od is only the first stage of this particular disease :-))

Actually, when I said I have a very large application, I meant just that.
We have ~150,000 lines of code right now, not counting another 150K or so
in libraries we are linking to.  I finally got around the compiling and
linking problems - 386Max or Quarterdeck (QEMM) give another 90K or so of
memory, which was enough to compile the files and link.  Microsoft's end of
March release will hopefully provide a compiler that can use extended
memory.  Of course, Codeview is currently giving us problems that no one
seems to have answers for, but that's another story.

Mark