[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Codeview for Windows: Warning CV2206

mwick@.com (Mark Wick) (03/21/91)

Has anyone else had this problem:

I have a large application, about of third of which has CodeView
information compiled into it (using -Zip flag).  I then linked the
application with the /CO.  Everything looked good.  However, when I then
tried to run the application under CodeView, I got the following message in
the Command window:

CV2206 Warning: Corrupt Debug OMF found in <filename>.  Deleting source
line.

I get this message about 30 times, then the entire system hangs with a UAE
in Windows.  The <filename> in the message is different each time, and is
always of a file that has CodeView information compiled into it.  Does
anyone know

- What OMF stands for?
- Why this is happening?
- What I could do about it?

If you do know, then you know more than Microsoft technical support, which
was unable to offer any worthwhile advice.  I've also checked on the
CompuServe Microsoft "Knowledge Base", but there was nothing there either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.174919.24501@oracle.com>, mwick@.com (Mark Wick) writes:
> Has anyone else had this problem:   [...]
>
> CV2206 Warning: Corrupt Debug OMF found in <filename>.  Deleting source
> line.
>
> I get this message about 30 times, then the entire system hangs with a UAE
> in Windows.  The <filename> in the message is different each time, and is
> always of a file that has CodeView information compiled into it.  Does
> anyone know
>
> - What OMF stands for?
> - Why this is happening?
> - What I could do about it?

Could OMF stand for Object Module Format or something along those
lines?  Don't know what you could do about it though, especially
if it is happening in different files.  Does it happen immediately
on startup?  What about if you start Windows up from a clean boot
and immediately start up the offending program - when you do that
does it always happen in the same file name or are the file names
different then too?

Unless you've forgotten to export some routine and/or do a
MakeProcInstance on it - that can cause some oddball errors.  Or
worse, wild pointer manipulations ...

						Bruce C. Wright

boyd_m@intertel.UUCP (Mark Boyd) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar20.174919.24501@oracle.com>, mwick@.com (Mark Wick) writes:

> Has anyone else had this problem:
>
> CV2206 Warning: Corrupt Debug OMF found in <filename>.  Deleting source
> line.

I've had this same error.  It turned out to be the linker was putting out
debugging information for the Windows 2.10 version of CVW (were using OPTLINKS
by SLR systems).  My guess is that you're using LINK4 and then trying to use
Windows 3.0 and CVW.

Mark Boyd
Inter-Tel, Inc.

richardh@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Richard Hancock) (03/23/91)

/ hpopd:comp.windows.ms.programmer / mwick@.com (Mark Wick) /  5:49 pm  Mar 20, 1991 /

> I have a large application, about of third of which has CodeView
> information compiled into it (using -Zip flag).  I then linked the
> application with the /CO.  Everything looked good.  However, when I then
> tried to run the application under CodeView, I got the following message in
> the Command window:

> - What OMF stands for?

Object Map File? I assume that CodeView is unable to load the debug info from
your executable.

> - Why this is happening?

CodeView seems to have general problems with large executables?

> - What I could do about it?

Try using the -Zip flag in even fewer modules.

Richard.

mwick@.com (Mark Wick) (03/24/91)

In article <356@intertel.UUCP> boyd_m@intertel.UUCP (Mark Boyd) writes:
>In article <1991Mar20.174919.24501@oracle.com>, mwick@.com (Mark Wick) writes:
>>
>> Has anyone else had this problem:
>>
>> CV2206 Warning: Corrupt Debug OMF found in <filename>.  Deleting source
>> line.
>>

>I've had this same error.  It turned out to be the linker was putting out
>debugging information for the Windows 2.10 version of CVW (were using OPTLINKS
>by SLR systems).  My guess is that you're using LINK4 and then trying to use
>Windows 3.0 and CVW.

It turns out that it is a bug in the current version of the Microsoft
Linker (5.10).  And using OptLinks appears to be the only solution...

Mark