[comp.windows.ms.programmer] 8 meg extended memory but only .8 meg in global heap?

ferdie@coyote.datalog.com (fred jarvis) (03/27/91)

    GlobalCompact never returns more than .8 on our 486 system
with 8 meg extended memory.  (This happens in an application
we are developing and in a slightly modified version of Petzold's
FREEMEM program from his book.)  Doesn't GlobalCompact return
the amount of global heap space?  Shouldn't this be more than .8?
(after a cold boot into Windows)

    CONFIG.SYS contains HIMEM.SYS.  All of the HIMEM.SYS /M optons
have been tried, without success.

    Any thoughts?

    Fred Jarvis    ferdie@coyote.datalog.com

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (03/28/91)

fred jarvis <ferdie@coyote.datalog.com> writes:
> GlobalCompact never returns more than .8 on our 486 system
> with 8 meg extended memory.  (This happens in an application
> we are developing and in a slightly modified version of Petzold's
> FREEMEM program from his book.)  Doesn't GlobalCompact return
> the amount of global heap space?

Ahh, the same bug that stumped me, too.  We used GlobalCompact() in our
Win2 version; in Win2 it returns the size of the largest allocatable block,
not the amount of free memory.  To get the total free space, you should use
GetFreeSpace()...

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]