[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Problems with internationalization

d89-bfr@sm.luth.se (Bjorn Fahller) (04/01/91)

I'm working on a DLL for internationalization, but I've had problems with the
sLanguage string in the [intl] section of win.ini (Very carefully documented
in winini2.txt). It doesn't exist no matter what language I set with the
control panel. Is there another way of obtaining language information?

Help very much appreciated.

Also. Does anyone know why windows doesn't follow it's own specs? Will this
be fixed in ver 3.1?
   _
/Bjorn.

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) (04/02/91)

d89-bfr@sm.luth.se (Bjorn Fahller) writes:

>I'm working on a DLL for internationalization, but I've had problems with the
>sLanguage string in the [intl] section of win.ini (Very carefully documented
>in winini2.txt). It doesn't exist no matter what language I set with the
>control panel. Is there another way of obtaining language information?

I just tried it. Obviously, there is no change within WIN.INI at all, if
you switch the language (I tried it by switching from German to US and back,
only).

>Help very much appreciated.

>Also. Does anyone know why windows doesn't follow it's own specs? Will this
>be fixed in ver 3.1?

I doubt it. From what I read here, and from my own experience I know
that non-US parts of Windows and Windows programs are usually not
tested very well - if they get tested at all. Latest example: the filter
for MacWord <-> WinWord transfers doesn't translate field names
when converting from Mac to Windows. A pagenumber, which is implemented as
a field gets translated from the German "seite" to the English "page", if
converted from WinWord to MacWord, but remains "page", if converted
the other direction. Of course, the German WinWord doesn't understand
a field named "page", so it responds with "unknown bookmark". This
applies to all field names, but for page numbers it is very annoying,
because most documents contain some.

It is very improbable that this converter - which contains German
messages, so it is not simply an international version - has been
tested with one single German text and the German versions of Windows
and WinWord.

The new ability to import documents from the Mac without going through
RTF was one strong point in the ads for WinWord 1.1, and caused quite
a few people to upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1. But its broken ...

We Europeans pay twice as much and get half the quality. Sigh.

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>