[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Debugging with a single

bert@helix.nih.gov (Bert Tyler) (03/26/91)

Can anyone shed some light for me on the status of single-monitor or
dual XGA/VGA monitor Windows debugging?  I want to add some
palette-management capability to Winfract, but I'm nervous about
starting this project without the aid of a Windows debugger.

I used to use CodeView on an 8514A/VGA combo on my PS/2.  These days,
however, I am using an XGA adapter, and Microsoft's CodeView doesn't
support an XGA/VGA combination (I tried it anyway - no dice).

Now I am hearing that Borland's new C++ product supports single-monitor
debugging, but only when you are using the vanilla VGA driver (which,
of course, isn't palette-based).  Is that limitation true?  I am
sitting on a Borland upgrade offer right now, and if it *does* work
with the XGA driver, that may be just the item that convinces me to
send the upgrade offer in.

I am also hearing stories about an update to Codeview that supports
single-monitor debugging.  Is that upgrade imminent, or already
available?  And does anyone know if that new version will work while
using an XGA driver?

(I have also heard about a third-party option called something like
CV1, but am reluctant to take that route if either of the big boys
has a solution.  As it is, I'm going broke constantly upgrading every
Microsoft and Borland product I own.)

Bert Tyler
bert@helix.nih.gov

jeff@cdp.UUCP (03/28/91)

The rumors you've heard are true.  The Borland debugger will not
work on anything other than the standard Windows driver except in
dual-monitor mode (so forget about super VGA etc.).  Microsoft has
started distributing a beta version of CodeView which does work on
a single monitor.  They were apparently giving it out at the
Software Development conference held in Silicon Valley about a
month ago.

	Jeff Dean
	jeff@cdp.igc.org
	uunet!pyramid!cdp!jeff

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (04/03/91)

In article <1266500001@cdp> jeff@cdp.UUCP writes:

>The rumors you've heard are true.  The Borland debugger will not
>work on anything other than the standard Windows driver except in
>dual-monitor mode (so forget about super VGA etc.).  Microsoft has
>started distributing a beta version of CodeView which does work on
>a single monitor.  They were apparently giving it out at the
>Software Development conference held in Silicon Valley about a
>month ago.

Even IN dual monitor mode, colors get forgotten (they turn to B&W) when
debugging and you VGA is other than the standard driver. (I use V-7 Fastwrite
in 800 X 600 mode).

I have gotten the colors to be restored by running some combination os windows
apps, haven't nailed down the exact sequence though.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254