[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Borland shafts C programmers AGAIN!

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (03/26/91)

Not ONLY does the new TP IDE run under Windows (even in enhanced mode), you
can use the TDW while *IN* TP, according to PC Week.  Oh yeah, class
library for Windows is included for TP for Windows, but NOT for BC++.  And
you still have TurboVision for Pascal, but nothing comparable for BC++ or
TC++.  *sigh*  What about *US*?  Geez, you'd think that Borland would be
about fair all the way around, but it seems to *me* that C programmers are
not getting the same quality of tools that Pascal programmers are getting.

Of course, then again, I am just whining....

Brian

njacobs@nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nick Jacobs) (03/26/91)

In article <27650@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes...
 [List of features in TP for Windows but not in BC++, omitted
  - see original posting]

You forgot to mention the unkindest cut of all. The price of TP for
Windows is little more than HALF the price of BC++.
Nick
<standard disclaimer>

altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (03/28/91)

In article <27650@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>Not ONLY does the new TP IDE run under Windows (even in enhanced mode), you
>can use the TDW while *IN* TP, according to PC Week.  Oh yeah, class
>library for Windows is included for TP for Windows, but NOT for BC++.  And
>you still have TurboVision for Pascal, but nothing comparable for BC++ or
>TC++.  *sigh*  What about *US*?  Geez, you'd think that Borland would be
>about fair all the way around, but it seems to *me* that C programmers are
>not getting the same quality of tools that Pascal programmers are getting.
>
>Of course, then again, I am just whining....

I know I am going to regret saying this, BUT:

C++ is much more complicated than a version of Pascal designed specificly
for Windows programing.  How else can they support a one "Hello, World!"
program for Windows?

TP is Borland's own language, they don't need to follow anyone else's
specs on how things should work.  If it doesn't work the way they liek
thye can change it.  Borland doesn't need to worry about compatibility
with code from other people compilers.

Plus, there are many things about BC++ that are either incomplete or
not included.  Borland has explained this away by saying that they
wanted to go to market as soon as they had something reasonable to sell.

So far from my experience using BC++, I like it alot better than MS C 6.0 and
and SDK.  Sure, there are some things wish I wish were there from the
SDK (but then again I own it so big deal).

I would expect that we will all be receiving another upgrade notice by the end
of the summer for a Windows version of the IDE.  On Compuserve, Borland
has posted some rudimentary Windows classes.

Actually, the best thing that we as members of the net would do would be to
start a discussion on what the classes should look like.  Then maybe Sidney
from Borland would pass them onto the developers and we would get what
we are looking for.

--
- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) (03/28/91)

From article <1991Mar27.173542.5153@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, by altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman):

> Plus, there are many things about BC++ that are either incomplete or
> not included.  Borland has explained this away by saying that they
> wanted to go to market as soon as they had something reasonable to sell.

Speaking of which, anybody see THEIR Help Compiler yet??????

|Tom Hite					|  The views expressed by me |
|Manager, Product development			|  are mine, not necessarily |
|CADSI (Computer Aided Design Software Inc.	|  the views of CADSI.       |

glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.173542.5153@sbcs.sunysb.edu> altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>In article <27650@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>> [stuff deleted]
>>Of course, then again, I am just whining....
>>

>I know I am going to regret saying this, BUT:
>
>C++ is much more complicated than a version of Pascal designed specificly
>for Windows programing.  How else can they support a one "Hello, World!"
>program for Windows?
>
>TP is Borland's own language, they don't need to follow anyone else's
>specs on how things should work.  If it doesn't work the way they liek
>thye can change it.

Of course they can't ... not if they want to sell the product. C++ is not
Borlands own language. BC++ follows as closely as possible the AT&T 2.0
C++ specification as does Zortech and others. The AT&T specification is as
close to a standard that exists for the language.

Glenn

In article <1991Mar27.210412.16532@ccad.uiowa.edu> cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) writes:
>From article <1991Mar27.173542.5153@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, by altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman):
>>
>> Plus, there are many things about BC++ that are either incomplete or
>> not included.  Borland has explained this away by saying that they
>> wanted to go to market as soon as they had something reasonable to sell.
>>

>Speaking of which, anybody see THEIR Help Compiler yet??????

I think that their scam is to immediately take "something useful" (as they
so elegantly put it) right to market. But the way it really is is that they
want to make millions on an unfinished, unpolished product, and force people
to upgrade in just a few months down the road when the complete package is
finished. I will bet I`ll be getting an upgrade notice in a few months and
I'll be requested to pay another $100. for the enhancements that should have
been included within this release.

The thing that gets on my nerves is that I was too stupid to inquire about
the Windows-based IDE and, more importantly, the Windows class library ...
I just expected that it was included (didn't seem like a mistake that
Borland would make). Now I know better.

Glenn

robind@code3.com (Robin Dunn) (03/30/91)

In article <4609@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> njacobs@nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
>In article <27650@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes...
> [List of features in TP for Windows but not in BC++, omitted
>  - see original posting]
>
>You forgot to mention the unkindest cut of all. The price of TP for
>Windows is little more than HALF the price of BC++.

That's because it's a little more than HALF the product.  To get the
equivellent of BC++ you would need to get TP for DOS *and* TP for
windows.

Robin P. Dunn                                       ...!uunet!code3!robind
3M Health Information Systems                             robind@code3.com
Code3 Product Development                                   (801) 265-4820

ergo@netcom.COM (Isaac Rabinovitch) (03/30/91)

In <4609@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> njacobs@nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nick Jacobs) writes:

>In article <27650@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes...
> [List of features in TP for Windows but not in BC++, omitted
>  - see original posting]

>You forgot to mention the unkindest cut of all. The price of TP for
>Windows is little more than HALF the price of BC++.
>Nick
><standard disclaimer>

Except that the upgrade price is the same ($100).  And you're entitled
to the upgrade price (for Pascal for Windows) if you already own any
Borland language. *And* there's a further discount if you're an
educator.

Also, Borland C++ is a hybrid (DOS/Windows) product, and I'm pretty
sure TPfW is pure Windows.
--

	ergo@netcom.com 			Isaac Rabinovitch
	netcom!ergo@apple.com			Silicon Valley, CA

   (specific statement withheld at this time for operational reasons)

In <1991Mar27.210412.16532@ccad.uiowa.edu> cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) writes:

>> Plus, there are many things about BC++ that are either incomplete or
>> not included.  Borland has explained this away by saying that they
>> wanted to go to market as soon as they had something reasonable to sell.
>>

>Speaking of which, anybody see THEIR Help Compiler yet??????

Wondered about this myself, so I left a message in their CIS forum.
I pointed out that their claim to be a complete Windows platform was
bogus if I couldn't make help files.  They replied that they had
licensed the MS Help compiler and would eventually provide it to all
registered owners of BC++.  (Wonder if they made that decision before
or after reading my message?)  Based on the Squeaky Wheel principle,
I'd suggest that everybody who wants/needs this call them up and ask
when they'll actually get round to this.

BTW, it seems to me that the Windows Help Engine would make a nice
general purpose hypertext system.

--

symtam@lion.uwaterloo.ca (Simon Tam) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar27.210412.16532@ccad.uiowa.edu>, cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) writes:
> From article <1991Mar27.173542.5153@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, by altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman):
> >
> > Plus, there are many things about BC++ that are either incomplete or
> > not included.  Borland has explained this away by saying that they
> > wanted to go to market as soon as they had something reasonable to sell.
> >

> Speaking of which, anybody see THEIR Help Compiler yet??????

Ha, I seriously doubt that Borland will ever be able to create a version of
Microsoft's Help Compiler.  This would require that Borland decipher the file
format of .hlp files.  I doubt that Microsoft would ever release this to them
simply because they are licensing the Help Compiler to Borland already and
thus force Borland to use it to round out their development kit.  I think it
would be a large feat for Borland to be able to development their own help
compiler which is compatible with Windows Help 3.0.

Just out of curiousity, why are you wondering why Borland should come out
with their own compiler?  Is it that people don't like using the Microsoft
Help Compiler?  I know that building a help file is kind of cumbersome and
that an integrated building environment would be much nicer.  What else is
the problem?
"Lies, damn lies and then there are college lectures."
-anonymous

altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (03/31/91)

In article <1991Mar28.153150.2794@welch.jhu.edu> glenn@welchlab.welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) writes:
>In article <1991Mar27.210412.16532@ccad.uiowa.edu> cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) writes:
>>From article <1991Mar27.173542.5153@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, by altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman):
>>>
>>> Plus, there are many things about BC++ that are either incomplete or
>>> not included.  Borland has explained this away by saying that they
>>> wanted to go to market as soon as they had something reasonable to sell.
>>>

>>Speaking of which, anybody see THEIR Help Compiler yet??????
>
>I think that their scam is to immediately take "something useful" (as they
>so elegantly put it) right to market. But the way it really is is that they
>want to make millions on an unfinished, unpolished product, and force people
>to upgrade in just a few months down the road when the complete package is
>finished. I will bet I`ll be getting an upgrade notice in a few months and
>I'll be requested to pay another $100. for the enhancements that should have
>been included within this release.
>
>The thing that gets on my nerves is that I was too stupid to inquire about
>the Windows-based IDE and, more importantly, the Windows class library ...
>I just expected that it was included (didn't seem like a mistake that
>Borland would make). Now I know better.
>
>Glenn

Well, if you feel that strongly about it and don't think that you want to
exercise you right to upgrade at this moment and don't feel that BC++ was
worth it.  THEN CALL UP BORLAND'S CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT AND ASK FOR
AN "rETURN MERCHANDISE AUTHORIZATION NUMBER".

I have a feeling that Borland will take it back and then in a few months when
the Windows based IDE and and the class libraries (ObjectWindows) are
included you can re-order it.

But for the meantime, please stop this whining like a four year old.
You are responsible for your own actions.  If you feel you made a mistake
try to correct and be more careful next time.  The rest of us do not
have to hear your screaming.

I have found BC++ to be 1000 times easy to use for developing my Windows
applications than C 6.0a and the SDK (which I own)  The upgrade price
was worth it if only for the Whitewater Resource Toolkit (LP $199.95).
I will never have to look at a .RC file ever again.

--
- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) (03/31/91)

From article <1991Mar30.083246.16450@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, by symtam@lion.uwaterloo.ca (Simon Tam):
> In article <1991Mar27.210412.16532@ccad.uiowa.edu>, cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) writes:
>
> Just out of curiousity, why are you wondering why Borland should come out
> with their own compiler?  Is it that people don't like using the Microsoft
> Help Compiler?  I know that building a help file is kind of cumbersome and
> that an integrated building environment would be much nicer.  What else is
> the problem?

I own the MS SDK.  It cost me about $325.  Thats a lot for a Help compiler
to the newcomer to Windows.  Remember, barring the DEBUG kernels,
the Help compiler is all that is missing from full development.  Borland
claimed many things for which they need to deliver as yet.  The Help
compiler is one.

I suppose there is an (immoral?) option, borrow someone elses Help compiler
from the SDK.  Fact is, supposedly when you bought Borland C++, the Help
compiler was part of the deal.  I guess its your choice as to whether it
matters where it comes from.  Are you licensed to the Help Compiler, or
not???

From article <1991Mar30.163852.12490@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, by altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman):
> In article <1991Mar28.153150.2794@welch.jhu.edu> glenn@welchlab.welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) writes:
>
> I have found BC++ to be 1000 times easy to use for developing my Windows
> applications than C 6.0a and the SDK (which I own)  The upgrade price
> was worth it if only for the Whitewater Resource Toolkit (LP $199.95).
> I will never have to look at a .RC file ever again.

I wonder only one thing.  When MS comes out with their belated entry
to the C++ market, what will it come with?  What will new upgrades to
the SDK come with.  This I know, I don't really want to keep paying
for two, staggered in time, updates.  This I also know, I gotta have
the DEBUG kernels (Mr. Borland, please get these).  The last thing I
am gonna say I know is that Borland better jump real fast when
the 32-bit version stuff comes out.

glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Mar30.163852.12490@sbcs.sunysb.edu> altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>In article <1991Mar28.153150.2794@welch.jhu.edu> glenn@welchlab.welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) writes:
>>In article <1991Mar27.210412.16532@ccad.uiowa.edu> cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) writes:
>>>From article <1991Mar27.173542.5153@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, by altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman):

[stuff deleted ...]

>But for the meantime, please stop this whining like a four year old.
>You are responsible for your own actions.  If you feel you made a mistake
>try to correct and be more careful next time.  The rest of us do not
>have to hear your screaming.

If you like the product, and feel that you can voice your opinion on
the net (and you have), why do you feel that I *don't* have the
right to whine? And how is it that *you* represent everyone on the
net? The "rest of us" is not everyone ... it is you. Why don't you
speak for yourself and stop posting news claiming to represent the
views of everyone?

Glenn

ebergman@isis.cs.du.edu (Eric Bergman-Terrell) (04/02/91)

Turbo Pascal is an excellent product.  So is BC++ 2.0 (I'm an enthusiastic
user of both).  I don't think Borland's trying to "shaft" the C programmers -
esp. since they must be making an increasing percentage of their revenue from
C compiler sales.

I think that Turbo Pascal has simply been around longer, and they
've had more time to make improvements to it...

Terrell

al@well.sf.ca.us (Alfred Fontes) (04/02/91)

>>Speaking of which, anybody see THEIR Help Compiler yet??????

>I pointed out that their claim to be a complete Windows platform was
>bogus if I couldn't make help files.

While we're on the topic, does anybody know of a cheap way to make RTF
files without having to write them by hand?

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Mar30.163852.12490@sbcs.sunysb.edu> altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>In article <1991Mar28.153150.2794@welch.jhu.edu> glenn@welchlab.welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) writes:
>>In article <1991Mar27.210412.16532@ccad.uiowa.edu> cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) writes:
>>>From article <1991Mar27.173542.5153@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, by altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman):

>>>Speaking of which, anybody see THEIR Help Compiler yet??????

[lots of whining deleted]

>>Glenn
>
>Well, if you feel that strongly about it and don't think that you want to
>exercise you right to upgrade at this moment and don't feel that BC++ was
>worth it.  THEN CALL UP BORLAND'S CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT AND ASK FOR
>AN "rETURN MERCHANDISE AUTHORIZATION NUMBER".
>
>I have a feeling that Borland will take it back and then in a few months when
>the Windows based IDE and and the class libraries (ObjectWindows) are
>included you can re-order it.
>
>But for the meantime, please stop this whining like a four year old.
>You are responsible for your own actions.  If you feel you made a mistake
>try to correct and be more careful next time.  The rest of us do not
>have to hear your screaming.
>
>I have found BC++ to be 1000 times easy to use for developing my Windows
>applications than C 6.0a and the SDK (which I own)  The upgrade price
>was worth it if only for the Whitewater Resource Toolkit (LP $199.95).
>I will never have to look at a .RC file ever again.

I have to agree here 100%. I too own SDK and MSC and can tell you that working
with BC++ is much better, the compiler and linker options are much simpler and
I can create C++ classes and such for it. This is a big win, not to mention
that it is half the price of Microsoft's environment.

I was impressed by the fact that I could return it within 30 days for a full
refund if I wasn't satisfied. Microsoft should provide that! :-)

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

markley@network.ucsd.edu (Mike Markley) (04/03/91)

In article <23984@well.sf.ca.us> al@well.sf.ca.us (Alfred Fontes) writes:

>>>Speaking of which, anybody see THEIR Help Compiler yet??????
>
>>I pointed out that their claim to be a complete Windows platform was
>>bogus if I couldn't make help files.
>
>While we're on the topic, does anybody know of a cheap way to make RTF
>files without having to write them by hand?

All of the Microsoft Word word processors will save to RTF. We use
Word for Windows.