[comp.windows.ms.programmer] How to use Non Alphabet characters in a .rc file

crm@icad.com (Christopher McConnell) (04/02/91)

I would like to create a string in my resource file which has the
copyright symbol in it.  I will then be using this string in
LoadString for the About... dialog box.  I know that the resource
file recognizes \015 as a character return.  Is there any way to
get the little (c) for a copyright in a resource string?

						- Chris
						  crm@icad.com

hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu (Hans van Oostrom) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Apr1.180639.13999@icad.com>, crm@icad.com (Christopher McConnell) writes...
>I would like to create a string in my resource file which has the
>copyright symbol in it.  I will then be using this string in
>LoadString for the About... dialog box.  I know that the resource
>file recognizes \015 as a character return.  Is there any way to
>get the little (c) for a copyright in a resource string?

Use a text editor that can incorperate non-printable characters.  Use
it and type 169 (decimal).  E.g the Norton Editor works: Cntrl-P
ALT169.  The strange thing is that the dialog editor of the MS SDK
doesn't recognize non-printable characters, while they are allowed in
the .rc file.  Even more strange is that if you type it in the .rc (or
dlg) file and change it again with the dialog editor the (c) shows
up; don't delete it because you can't retype it!!!
Is this the same with the WRT?

Hans van Oostrom
PO Box J-254, JHMHC                 hans@ufpine                (BITNET)
Gainesville, FL  32601, USA         hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu    (INTERNET)
>>>          Hoe ver je ook gaat, overal zie je landgenoten           <<<

curt@cctb.wa.com (Curt Johnson) (04/03/91)

Sorry if this is a duplicate, the first one didn't seem to work.

In article <1991Apr1.180639.13999@icad.com> crm@icad.com (Christopher McConnell) writes:
| I would like to create a string in my resource file which has the
| copyright symbol in it.  I will then be using this string in
| LoadString for the About... dialog box.  I know that the resource
| file recognizes \015 as a character return.  Is there any way to
| get the little (c) for a copyright in a resource string?

\015 is an octal contant for CR.

In a .c file I use \xA9 in a string for the copyright mark, try
this, or it's octal equivalent \251 (the leading 0 *might* be
required, I don't know if the .rc file is parsed exactly like
c, if \251 doesn't work, try \0251 or \169).

Curt Johnson == curt@cctb.wa.com

hdg@otter.hpl.hp.com (Hugh Duggan) (04/03/91)

> I would like to create a string in my resource file which has the
> copyright symbol in it.  I will then be using this string in
> LoadString for the About... dialog box.  I know that the resource
> file recognizes \015 as a character return.  Is there any way to
> get the little (c) for a copyright in a resource string?
>
> 						- Chris
> 						  crm@icad.com

    Use \251 .

              Hugh Duggan,