[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Trouble with Combo Boxes

goble@wolf.cs.washington.edu (Brian Goble) (04/03/91)

I have a dialog box that contains some static text controls, two push-
buttons (OK and Cancel) and 5 Combo Boxes.  After "making" the proc
instance, I call the DialogBox() function but I just get an hourglass
forever.  But, if I remove the Combo Boxes from the script, the
dialog box works fine.  All the Combo Boxes are using CS_DROPDOWN.

Any ideas why it would hang like this because of Combo Boxes?

Brian Goble	|	goble@wolf.cs.washington.edu

lwallace@javelin.sim.es.com (Raptor) (04/04/91)

goble@wolf.cs.washington.edu (Brian Goble) writes:
>I have a dialog box that contains some static text controls, two push-
>buttons (OK and Cancel) and 5 Combo Boxes.  After "making" the proc
>instance, I call the DialogBox() function but I just get an hourglass
>forever.  But, if I remove the Combo Boxes from the script, the
>dialog box works fine.  All the Combo Boxes are using CS_DROPDOWN.

>Any ideas why it would hang like this because of Combo Boxes?

It may not be the combo boxes.  I ran into similar circumstances when
I had my dialog box handler coded up all wrong, doing a lot of
WM_INITDIALOG stuff in my WM_COMMAND section and basically
re-engineering the wheel.  I found out that a lot of control functions
(SendDlgItemMessage, CheckRadioButton, etc) send your dialog function
messages of their own, so I ended up causing myself a lot of infinite
loops.  I happened to look at the sample applications in the SDK and
they set me straight.  (Oh, so THAT's what that stuff's there for. :-)

Run the debugger and break at the top of your dialog function, and
watch the messages it's getting to make sure they're what you expect.
--
Lynn Wallace			   |I am not an official representative of
Evans and Sutherland Computer Corp.| <- E&S.  Or for that matter, unofficial.