[comp.windows.ms.programmer] SQL Database accessible via DDE or DLL wanted

tremmel@irafs2.ira.uka.de (Wolfgang Tremmel) (04/05/91)

Hi!
We are developing Database - Applications under Windows using ToolBook.
Now we need a good and fast SQL - Based Database - Server.
What Databases do exist and how good is their perfomance.
Another important point is the existance of some kind of a
runtime-license for the database.
To co-exist with ToolBook the database should be accessible via DDE or should
be a DLL.

Thanks for your help!

Wolfgang Tremmel

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr4.204256.6779@ira.uka.de> tremmel@irafs2.ira.uka.de (Wolfgang Tremmel) writes:
>Hi!
>We are developing Database - Applications under Windows using ToolBook.
>Now we need a good and fast SQL - Based Database - Server.

Q+E is a database Query tool that talks DDE.  A version (I believe it's not
complete, but am not sure about this) comes with the new version of Excel!
I've played around with it enough to know that I can do queries on a dBase
III file from DDE.  It's supposed to be able to do queries on SQL, dBase
(II, III and IV), Gupta and perhaps others.

I've got an extensive Address Book program written in dBase III and am
planning to use Q+E when I port it to Windows.  (Writing the front end
in EASEL/Win, naturally.  ;-)

--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com
Principal Software Engineer, Easel Corporation

pmoore@hemel.bull.co.uk (Paul Moore) (04/09/91)

Visionware do a product called SQL-connect. This is for Unix based Databases.

It is part of pc-connect - a truly wonderful product - write windows programs
on your unix box displaying on your pc (like the x client/server seperation)
, dde from pc to unix, dde from unix to pc, launch dos apps from unix,
launch dos apps on different pcs from unix progs, instant (and I mean instant
shell window creation under windows, ..... Using serail lines or TCP/IP
for the pc to unix connection.
--
!---------------------------------------------------------------!
! Paul Moore, Bull HN UK, Maxted Rd,Hemel Hempstead, HP2 7DZ.   !

chris@visionware.co.uk (Chris Davies) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr4.204256.6779@ira.uka.de> tremmel@irafs2.ira.uka.de (Wolfgang Tremmel) writes:
>Now we need a good and fast SQL - Based Database - Server.
>What Databases do exist and how good is their perfomance.
>Another important point is the existance of some kind of a
>runtime-license for the database.
>To co-exist with ToolBook the database should be accessible via DDE or should
>be a DLL.

We sell a product, SQL-Retriever (previously known as SQL-Connect), which will
do what it sounds like you might want.

It provides a MS-Windows DDE interface to various Unix based databases,
including Informix Oracle and Ingres.

You would need a run-time copy (and therefore licence) of the product for each
installation.

It does not provide an interface to a DOS or PC-based database (such as
SQL-Windows (?) from Gupta).

Contact me or vware@visionware.co.uk for details

Chris
--
         VISIONWARE LTD, 57 Cardigan Lane, LEEDS LS4 2LE, England
    Tel +44 532 788858.  Fax +44 532 304676.  Email chris@visionware.co.uk