[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Asynch Tool

aaron@backyard.bae.bellcore.com (Aaron Akman) (04/09/91)

Any experiences with the various asynch libraries--blaise, greenleaf,
etc?  Both in a windows app and otherwise.  Comparisons?  Opinions?

___________________________
Aaron Akman
aaron@backyard.bellcore.com
908-699-8019

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.165214.11003@bellcore.bellcore.com> aaron@backyard.bae.bellcore.com (Aaron Akman) writes:

>Any experiences with the various asynch libraries--blaise, greenleaf,
>etc?  Both in a windows app and otherwise.  Comparisons?  Opinions?

I used the Greenleaf library in a DOS application a number of years ago.  It
was quite a comprehensive package, though I did find a somewhat sticky bug.
(I think involving flow control.)  Though it took a while to resolve, they
were pretty good at responding to my queries, and got better at that over
time.

If you need really high performance (high baud rates, etc.,) you may want to
write your own driver, or optimize theirs.  For convenient use where
high speed (and this is relative to the system performance of your target
platform) is not at issue -- particularly if they have a working windows
driver -- it seems the preferred way to go.

--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com
Principal Software Engineer, Easel Corporation