[comp.windows.ms.programmer] NOVICE: MS-SDK or Borland C++ ?

maurik@irene.mit.edu (HOLTROP, MAURIK) (04/18/91)

A question from a novice to Windows programming:

What does the SDK from Microsoft do that Borland C++ doesn't ? Or
is there no reason to spend money on the SDK if you buy BC++ ?

I have the MS C600, which is a good compiler (although not C++, but
I don't see the need for that yet), so to get started with windows
programming, what would you recommend, MS-SDK or BC++ ?

          Thanks for the attention,
			Maurik.

n8443916@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (John Gossman) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.175343.16818@athena.mit.edu> maurik@irene.mit.edu writes:
>A question from a novice to Windows programming:
>
>What does the SDK from Microsoft do that Borland C++ doesn't ? Or
>is there no reason to spend money on the SDK if you buy BC++ ?

The SDK has some lousy documentation that doesn't come with BC++.  If
I were doing the purchasing, I wouldn't spend and money on the SDK.

>I have the MS C600, which is a good compiler (although not C++, but

MSC 6.0 good?  That is open to debate.  It is VERY slow, and has some quirks.

>I don't see the need for that yet), so to get started with windows
>programming, what would you recommend, MS-SDK or BC++ ?

	BC++ hands down.

// *************************************************************** //
John Gossman
SoftSource      (206)676-0999 Phone
WWU Math Dept.
My employer stands behind all my opinions, except in public.
// ************************************************************** //

cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) (04/18/91)

From article <1991Apr17.175343.16818@athena.mit.edu>, by maurik@irene.mit.edu (HOLTROP, MAURIK):
> A question from a novice to Windows programming:
>
> What does the SDK from Microsoft do that Borland C++ doesn't ? Or
> is there no reason to spend money on the SDK if you buy BC++ ?

The SDK has the debug kernels which many don't know about but are
essential to producing 'proper' Windows apps.  In addition, a crummy
profiler for Windows comes w/SDK, but Borland has no usefull profiler.
for Windows either.  At least the SDK provides something.
W/Borland, you can debug (Turbo Debugger) on a single terminal.
With MS, you can do some debugging (I know, I've done lots of this) with
a serial terminal, in addition, with an extra monochrome monitor,
you can use CodeView.

> I have the MS C600, which is a good compiler (although not C++, but
> I don't see the need for that yet), so to get started with windows
> programming, what would you recommend, MS-SDK or BC++ ?

If you want to stick with C (not C++) the SDK is the answer.  That should
be quite clear as MSC 6.0 is what you already have.  MS will come out
with C++ someday, so I would just say hang in there with 'em.

Fact is, I hate both the Borland and the MS products at this point in
terms if Windows development.  Neither are very Windows friendly.
You know, edit/compile/link in DOS, run Windows, check out your program
(TurboDebug helps here), Leave Windows, fix bug, .....  -OOOOOHHHH  Ick.

IMHO Borland is better if starting from scratch.  You've invested
is MS, so it seems reasonable to continue.

Sorry, Mr. Bandwidth, I'll stop rambling now.

|Tom Hite					|  The views expressed by me |
|Manager, Product development			|  are mine, not necessarily |
|CADSI (Computer Aided Design Software Inc.	|  the views of CADSI.       |