[comp.windows.ms.programmer] How can I generate RTF files without paying more $$$

wallis@sieras.enet.dec.com (Barry L. Wallis) (04/17/91)

Well, I just recieved the Help Compiler for Windows from Borland. It sure seems
unusable for me. Why? Because it seems to want to deal with files in Rich Text
Format (RTF) for all the formatting commands. The documentation says that you
can use one of three different word processors for it:

1) Word for DOS
2) Word for Windows
3) Word for MAC

(I didn't say they were very different ;-}). Now, I am using the system to
learn Windows programming and *not* to produce income. I have no desire to
purchase Word in order to do this. What other choices do I have?

BTW, maybe they call it Rich Text Format becuase it will make Microsoft rich?
:-(

I know about Ami Pro (thanks to Brian Ricker), but, I am looking for something
that is less expensive (under $20.00 would be nice ;-} ). Where did RTF come
from and where can I read about it so I can think about writing a converter.

---
Barry L. Wallis			USENET: wallis@labc.dec.com
Database Consultant		Prodigy (don't laugh): DNMX41A
U.S. DECtp Resource Center	DECUServe: EISNER::WALLIS (not on the net yet)
Los Angeles, CA			"No one voted for me, I represent myself"
---

ebergman@isis.cs.du.edu (Eric Bergman-Terrell) (04/17/91)

I just received my help compiler too.  Like you I glanced through the
manual.  I got the impression that you could type in a help source file
with any ascii word processor as long as you also typed in all the funcky
characters too.

I'm planning on using Sprint if it'll work - will probably write some
Sprint macros to handle some of the TEDIOUS details...

Terrell

cjones@isis.cs.du.edu (Charles J. Jones) (04/17/91)

In article <22093@shlump.nac.dec.com> wallis@sieras.enet.dec.com (Barry L. Wallis) writes:
>Well, I just recieved the Help Compiler for Windows from Borland. It sure seems
>unusable for me. Why? Because it seems to want to deal with files in Rich Text
>Format (RTF) for all the formatting commands.

This has ticked me off also.

>Where did RTF come
>from and where can I read about it so I can think about writing a converter.

Looking at the sample help code .RTF files, it seems that someone could
write a WordPerfect .PTR driver that would produce this format.  But, as
above, we need to know the specifics of the format.  I'd be willing to
create the PTR driver if someone could get me the RTF specifications.

>Barry L. Wallis			USENET: wallis@labc.dec.com
>Database Consultant		Prodigy (don't laugh): DNMX41A
>U.S. DECtp Resource Center	DECUServe: EISNER::WALLIS (not on the net yet)
>Los Angeles, CA		"No one voted for me, I represent myself"

Charles

Charles J. Jones        | If builders built buildings the way programmers
cjones@nyx.cs.du.edu    | write programs, then the first woodpecker that
cjones@copper.denver.colorado.edu  | came along would destroy civilization.

wallis@sieras.enet.dec.com (Barry L. Wallis) (04/18/91)

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request. The answers were very helpful.

First an apology, then, a summary:

Apology: Sorry for wasting bandwidth for something that is evidently in the
         FAQ. I will check it out next time it is posted.

1) AMI' Pro? One person said they thought it could support RTF. However, a user
looked in the doc and could not find anything about it. It can export into Word
format but no mention is made of RTF.

2) TryWord. Available from MS for $10 (also include in the book "Learn Word for
Windows Now" for $30). This is a scaled down version of Word
(it can only support text files of ~7K bytes).

3) There are two helpful publications (to Charles Jones: if you write a
converter, please let me know):

a) "Microsoft Rich Text Format Specification" available
   by calling Microsoft Support (206-454-2030) and asking
   for a copy. They'll send it to you via mail.

b) "Rich Text Format Standard Makes Transferring Text Easier",
   an article which appeared in the March 1987 Microsoft
   Systems Journal. This is an introduction to RTF which
   covers all of the basic info.

---
Barry L. Wallis			USENET: wallis@labc.dec.com
Database Consultant		Prodigy (don't laugh): DNMX41A
U.S. DECtp Resource Center	DECUServe: EISNER::WALLIS (not on the net yet)
Los Angeles, CA			"No one voted for me, I represent myself"
---

akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (04/18/91)

The demo version of winword will produce rtf files, with the caveat
that the files are limited in size. I *believe* you can freely copy
the demo version, though I am not 100% sure of that.

kartik

--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Research Assistant, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)

cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) (04/18/91)

From article <1991Apr17.210348.22706@cs.uoregon.edu>, by akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal):
> The demo version of winword will produce rtf files, with the caveat
> that the files are limited in size. I *believe* you can freely copy
> the demo version, though I am not 100% sure of that.
>
> kartik

I'm sure glad somebody's on the ball around here!!!!

|Tom Hite					|  The views expressed by me |
|Manager, Product development			|  are mine, not necessarily |
|CADSI (Computer Aided Design Software Inc.	|  the views of CADSI.       |

oneel@heawk1.rosserv.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.210348.22706@cs.uoregon.edu> akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:

   The demo version of winword will produce rtf files, with the caveat
   that the files are limited in size. I *believe* you can freely copy
   the demo version, though I am not 100% sure of that.

   kartik

   --
   Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
   Research Assistant, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)
   Department of Computer Science,                         (503)346-3989 (direct)
   University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403-1202

When I called Microsoft a few days ago and ordered mine, they said
that I could copy it "around the office and such".  I guess they don't
want me putting it on a BBS, but other than that it seemed ok.

bruce
--
| Bruce O'Neel              | internet : oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov|
| Code 664/STX              |     span : lheavx::oneel             |

Thats me in the corner, thats me in the spotlight, losin' my religion -- rem

lwallace@javelin.sim.es.com (Raptor) (04/18/91)

I chose the Microsoft Works route for my RTF help text writing.  I heard once
(here) that you can create RTFs with Works' word processor.  This costs $100.

But I haven't unpacked it yet, so I don't know at all how good an option this
is.  Can anyone tell me if I should just take the thing back, or will it be
sufficient?

Why didn't Microsoft put RTF into Windows Write?  (rhetorical question.)
--
            Lynn Wallace           |           I do not represent E&S.
Evans and Sutherland Computer Corp.|   Internet: lwallace@javelin.sim.es.com

al@well.sf.ca.us (Alfred Fontes) (04/21/91)

akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:

>The demo version of winword will produce rtf files, with the caveat
>that the files are limited in size.

Several people have made this suggestion, but I don't think that it's
a solution.  The size of the file that you can save is too small for
most practical purposes.  Maybe we should conclude that this is yet
another way to feed money to Microsoft.