[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Compiling/linking Windows Apps under Borland C++

efulsang@ADS.COM (Ejner Fulsang) (04/25/91)

I've been following the suggestions for efficient compiling and
linking of C++ programs using Borland C++ while running under
Windows 3.0.  The consensus on the net seemed to be to load
tkernel first and then run Windows in the standard mode as follows:

          tkernel hi=yes kilos=1024
          win /s

I tried this and obtained the following results:

	1)  Windows operation seemed to hesitate and stumble around
a bit but otherwise did not seem too slow;
	2)  Ordinary C++ programs, e.g., the circle example from the
Borland manuals seemed to complie fairly efficiently (~13 sec);
	3)  Windows applications (Petzold's hellowin program) really
bogged down (5:24 under Windows vs. 0:18 under DOS).

Is there something else I should be doing or, were the above results
as good as I can expect?

BTW - my machine is a Compaq 386/20e with 5 MB of RAM.

Ejner Fulsang
Sr. Systems Engineer
Advanced Decision Systems
1500 Plymouth Street
Mountain View, CA 94043
efulsang@ads.com

sidney@borland.com (Sidney Markowitz) (04/26/91)

In article <{G0&GB_@ads.com> efulsang@ADS.COM (Ejner Fulsang) writes:

>I've been following the suggestions for efficient compiling and
>linking of C++ programs using Borland C++ while running under
>Windows 3.0.  The consensus on the net seemed to be to load
>tkernel first and then run Windows in the standard mode as follows:
>
>          tkernel hi=yes kilos=1024
>          win /s

One more step, which is actually the whole reason for doing the above:
run bcx instead of bc.

My results building whello.prj from the BC++ examples directory on a
Compaq Portable 386/20 with lots of memory:

 1) using bc.exe under DOS: ~16 seconds
 2) using bc.exe with tkernel loaded under win/s and no pif
    (which is a worst case - bc.exe doesn't make use of tkernel,
     which just takes memory away from it, and without a pif bc has
     no EMS memory available for fast swapping): ~5 minutes
 3) using bcx.exe with tkernel and win/s as above, no pif: ~12 seconds

 -- sidney markowitz <sidney@borland.com>