[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Any DDE experience out there?

bills@hutch.rabbit.com (Bill Sappington) (04/13/91)

Does anyone out there have experience with DDE? We're going to be adding
DDE support to our application in the near future and I'd like to get a
handle on what other people are doing with it. I've RTFM and got some
ideas from that, but there's nothing like hearing about real-life
experiences. Post replies or e-mail, whichever you prefer.

Thanks in advance,

-Bill

---
bills@hutch.rabbit.com
!uunet!cbmvax!hutch!bills

What's mine is mine, especially my opinions.

corne@aie.uucp (Corne Brouwers) (04/16/91)

In article <POSTNEWS14070@hutch.rabbit.com> bills@hutch.rabbit.com (Bill Sappington) writes:
>Does anyone out there have experience with DDE? We're going to be adding
>DDE support to our application in the near future and I'd like to get a
>handle on what other people are doing with it. I've RTFM and got some
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>-Bill

	Well, I have some experience with DDE. First of all, the articles
I read about DDE all sound great and promising, but programming DDE is not
all that easy. I use the tool Knowledge Pro to implement different kinds of
applications, mostly client server using DDE to conversate. When both
applications are Knowledge Pro everything works fine. Now I'm trying to
implement an application using Knowledge Pro and DynaComm and I can't seem to
establish an error-free DDE conversation.
	Problem with tools like Knowledge Pro, Dynacomm etc is that they all
provide a sample program where the tool is the client and MS-Exel is the server.Documentation on DDE is often poor, especially when you want to use the tool as
a server and as I've already said, they don't include any sample programs.
	The sample programs and documentation included in the MS-SDK are
actually quite good. If you are going to program your applications using the
MS-SDK I think you won't meet too many problems.

	So far my experiences. BTW if anyone has a DDE_server script for
DynaComm (version 3.0a by Futuresoft) I would appreciate it you you could send
it to me. Thanks in advance,

Corne.
--
|	      Corne Brouwers, A.I. Engineering BV,  Amsterdam		      |
|			    corne@aie.UUCP				      |

wolf@netcom.COM (Buckskin Tech.) (04/19/91)

corne@aie.uucp (Corne Brouwers) writes:

>In article <POSTNEWS14070@hutch.rabbit.com> bills@hutch.rabbit.com (Bill Sappington) writes:
>>Does anyone out there have experience with DDE? We're going to be adding
>>DDE support to our application in the near future and I'd like to get a
>>handle on what other people are doing with it. I've RTFM and got some
>>
>>-Bill

>	Well, I have some experience with DDE. First of all, the articles
>I read about DDE all sound great and promising, but programming DDE is not
>all that easy. I use the tool Knowledge Pro to implement different kinds of
>. . .
>	Problem with tools like Knowledge Pro, Dynacomm etc is that they all
>provide a sample program where the tool is the client and MS-Exel is the server.Documentation on DDE is often poor, especially when you want to use the tool as
>a server and as I've already said, they don't include any sample programs.
>	The sample programs and documentation included in the MS-SDK are
>actually quite good. If you are going to program your applications using the
>MS-SDK I think you won't meet too many problems.

In the example code shipped with Borland C++ there are a couple (resonably)
short routines called ddeclnt.c and ddesrvr.c, which show how to write DDE
in a very general way.  As for documentation, the SDK is about as good as
it gets (Petzold's book has some good stuff, tho.)

 - Wolf

BTW, this is not directed to either of the posts this post follows up.  It's
just general information for those looking for DDE stuff.

slh@gibdo.engr.washington.edu (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr16.075505.19995@aie.uucp> corne@aie.uucp (Corne Brouwers) writes:
>	The sample programs and documentation included in the MS-SDK are
>actually quite good. If you are going to program your applications using the
>MS-SDK I think you won't meet too many problems.

	Yeah right.
	The dde code looked pretty tangled and
	at one point they have code commented
	(what you are suppose to do) without any explanation as to why
	it was marked out.
	It also produces errors that show up under the debug version of windows
	The printed examples contain atleast some contradictions and
	wrong/mispelled identfiers.
	They might not be the worst thing in the world,
	but I wouldn't call them quite good.