[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Format of .bmp files

esrmm@warwick.ac.uk (Denis Anthony) (04/21/91)

There appears to be a header of ? 214 bytes after which the uncompressed pixels go.
Is this right ? And what is the header composed of? Presumably colour maps etc.

Anyone got a document on this format. Much appreciated if so, or some source code
to read it will do.

Ta

Denis

slh@gibdo.engr.washington.edu (04/28/91)

In article <Y''_?$=@warwick.ac.uk> esrmm@warwick.ac.uk (Denis Anthony) writes:
>There appears to be a header of ? 214 bytes after which the uncompressed pixels go.
>Is this right ? And what is the header composed of? Presumably colour maps etc.
>
>Anyone got a document on this format. Much appreciated if so, or some source code
>to read it will do.

	I believe it is documented in the ms reference manual volume 2.
	Although not necessarily clearly or accurately.

keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John Keating) (04/28/91)

slh@gibdo.engr.washington.edu replies:

> I believe it is documented in the ms reference manual volume 2.
> Although not necessarily clearly or accurately.

You might also want to check Petzold's Environments column in the 11 September
1990 issue of PC Magazine.  He describes the bitmap formats of several
versions of OS/2 and Windows bitmaps.  He has stated that he plans to do a
followup issue on Windows 3.0 bitmaps, though I'm still waiting for that one.

John
--
 | Looking for genealogical histories of | | keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu |