[comp.windows.ms.programmer] How wide are scrollbars?

davel@booboo.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Lord) (04/16/91)

When I size my child window (using MoveWindow) I want to allow for
the client area and for a scroll bar (if needed). Unfortunately I
don't see anything that gives the width of a scroll bar. Are they
always the same size? Right now I'm using the value 20 which works
on my display but I don't know if the size would vary on say an EGA
display.

Oh, and to all those people sending me mail about my previous posting
"re: Using Borland C++," Standard mode, not Real mode; Yes I've got
that now. At the time I posted that the only distinctions I had in my
mind were "The mode I use (386 enhanced)" and "Everything else". Kind of
like my counting system: one, two, three, many.

Dave.Lord@SanDiego.NCR.Com

hmolotsi@pollux.svale.hp.com (Hugh Molotsi) (04/18/91)

GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXHTHUMB) will give you the scroll bar width and
GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYVTHUMB) will give you the scroll bar height.

How you gonna do it? You gonna OS/2 it!!

bonneau@hyper.hyper.com (Paul Bonneau) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr15.185247.17784@SanDiego.NCR.COM> davel@booboo.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Lord) writes:
>When I size my child window (using MoveWindow) I want to allow for
>the client area and for a scroll bar (if needed). Unfortunately I
>don't see anything that gives the width of a scroll bar. Are they
>always the same size? Right now I'm using the value 20 which works
>on my display but I don't know if the size would vary on say an EGA
>display.

You can use AdjustWindowRect().  Give it the size of the
client area, and use the appropriate scroll flags (WS_HSCROLL
or WS_VSCROLL).  It will come back with the total size of the
window to accomodate both.

cheers - Paul Bonneau.

kensy@microsoft.UUCP (Ken SYKES) (04/29/91)

GetSystemMetrics.  All kinds of size information gathered from this function.

Ken Sykes
Disclaimer: The above opinions are solely my own.