[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Basic for Windows

mjb@netcom.COM (Martin Brown) (04/24/91)

At the risk of being burned at the stake for even mentioning basic, but...

On the cover of the April 8, 1991 issue of INFO WORLD, is an article
stating that MS expects to release "Basic for Windows" (code name Thunder)
this May.

I also read somewhere (here?), in a veiled article, that a program being
demoed for a limited audience crashed and burned 3 times.

Are there any beta testers out there that can comment, without violating
non-disclosure agreements, etc., about "Basic for Windows"?

                              - mjb -

                           mjb@netcom.com

drift@qut.edu.au (Glenn Wallace) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr24.064821.6810@netcom.COM>, mjb@netcom.COM (Martin Brown) writes:
> On the cover of the April 8, 1991 issue of INFO WORLD, is an article
> stating that MS expects to release "Basic for Windows" (code name Thunder)
> this May.

Wow, am I surprised that anyone knows about this. Thunder was supposed to be
more Top Secret than the Stealth Fighter!

> I also read somewhere (here?), in a veiled article, that a program being
> demoed for a limited audience crashed and burned 3 times.

I would *guess* that was an early beta. I *hear rumours* that the latest
beta is really A1 (even for MS) with good doco, apart from minor screen
layout uglies.

All early beta software crashes and burns. The very early Excel 3 beta
was the same. That's software development.

> Are there any beta testers out there that can comment, without violating
> non-disclosure agreements, etc., about "Basic for Windows"?

People under ND can't even mention its existence, let alone the fact that
they have a copy - I hear. Although, some Beta testers would stick their necks
out to defend it.

A product like this, I am VERY certain, will herald an new era of Win3 apps
from heaps of people. Schoolkids will be using it.

Bill Gates is said to be fond of it, and the choice of Basic for this
Visual system seems a bit historical perhaps?

I think it will have much more success than, for example Actor.
(Nothing against Actor, however.)

+-------------------+-----------------------------------------+
| Glenn Wallace     | Net: drift@qut.edu.au                   |
| Drift Project     | Fone: +61 7 837-7126 Fax: +61 7 221-0173|
| Telecom Australia | Snail: 11th Flr 144 Edward St.,         |
+-------------------+        Brisbane, Q4000 Australia        |
| Disclaimer - The opinions expressed must be my own, because |
|              Telecom is a statuatory authority and as such, |
|              is not capable of having opinions.             |

donnel@helix.nih.gov (Donald A. Lehn) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr27.070342.27964@qut.edu.au> drift@qut.edu.au (Glenn Wallace) writes:
->In article <1991Apr24.064821.6810@netcom.COM>, mjb@netcom.COM (Martin Brown) writes:
->> On the cover of the April 8, 1991 issue of INFO WORLD, is an article
->> stating that MS expects to release "Basic for Windows" (code name Thunder)
->> this May.
->

	For those Interested, I've seen advertisements in Nature for a
product called WinBasic.  This is a windows application that can execute
basic code.  I don't have the specifics on the program but apparently
MS is not and will not be the first to release a Windows basic.

Don Lehn

daryl@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Daryl Clarke) (05/07/91)

I was asking Tech Support here in Canada about VisBas.
They kept saying that they couldn't comment on it since there was no
press release.

I am waiting with baited breath, since I have an app that is 600K of code
and 300 K of libs.  I am not going to translate it to C just to get it to
Windows.
--
Daryl Clarke
Earth Sciences