[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Higer-level Windows programming

so@brownie.cs.wisc.edu (Bryan S. So) (05/01/91)

I am looking for high-level tools for Windows progamming.  Can
somebody recommend which products are useful/not useful... etc?

I have currently heard of Toolbook (Asymmetrix), Actors (Whitewater),
Plus (Spinnaker) and C++/Views (CNS).

The requirements should be for fast prototyping, but must be
powerful enough for general application programming.  I don't
mind learning a new OO language.  I don't mind programming in
C++ as long as there are enough class for fast prototyping.

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

davew@altos86.Altos.COM (Dave White) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May1.151526.29565@spool.cs.wisc.edu> so@brownie.cs.wisc.edu (Bryan S. So) writes:
>I am looking for high-level tools for Windows progamming.  Can
>somebody recommend which products are useful/not useful... etc?

You might want to consider Kappa-PC by IntelliCorp.  Especially
for some quick prototyping.  It is all OO.  They can be reached
at 415-965-5700.

Dave

Thomas_Hornschuh@p1.f36.n245.z2.fidonet.org (Thomas Hornschuh) (05/06/91)

BS> somebody recommend which products are useful/not useful... etc?
BS>
BS> I have currently heard of Toolbook (Asymmetrix), Actors (Whitewater),
BS> Plus (Spinnaker) and C++/Views (CNS).
BS>
BS> The requirements should be for fast prototyping, but must be
BS> powerful enough for general application programming.  I don't
BS> mind learning a new OO language.  I don't mind programming in
BS> C++ as long as there are enough class for fast prototyping.

I think you has listed four quite different tools with different purposes. I
have a litlle expierence with Actor and much expierence with C++/Views. Actor
is very powerfull and encapsulates nearly all windows API-calls. Sometimes
these encapsulation has a fairly low level, especially the Dialog-Handling
functions. The main disadvantage of Actor is the slowness.

C++/Views on the other hand is an partially successfull approach to combine a
Compiler language with the incremental programming style of a pure OOP language
like Smalltalk. The C++/Views browser let you write C++-Code in a quite
comfortable manner and generates make- and other control-files. For debugging
purposes you must use Tools like CodeView. In addition to C++/Views you must at
least buy a C++-Compiler (I prefer Zortech, Borland is also supported).
The smalltalk like Data-Classes (Container, Dictionary, Set, Collection, ...)
supports rapid application Development, but C++ is more difficult to use than
Smalltalk or Actor.
The Windows-Inteface classes have some constraints and cover the windows-API
only partially.
Both, library and browser have some bugs.

The advantage of Views is, that (together with a compiler) it generates fast
and native code Windows executables and you can access all Windows-API
functions that are not covered by the C++/Views layer directly.

Randy_Humes@f117.n151.z1.fidonet.org (Randy Humes) (05/09/91)

Also try Object1 from MDBS.  Pure OOPS with tools and database I/f.
Call 317-447-1122.  They have a free demo disc.