[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Programming Windows

mwizard@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Craig Nelson) (05/07/91)

Hi there !!!

	Interesting little thing happend to me today.  Knock on the door
and a UPS man holding a box from Borland Intl.  No charge.  Turned out to
be the much-asked-about Charles Petzoid book, "Programming Windows."  I
thought it was very nice of Borland to send it my way.  Even nicer was the
fact they didn't require the purchase of one of their Windows programming
languages before they sent the book.  Thats right, I never purchased BC++,
TPW,or Object Vision.  They just sent it.  Like an idiot I called them to
find out what the scoop was.  Know what the told me ?  "our mistake, keep
it."  Nice of them to send a $30 book and pay $7 p&h for a free book w/purchase
of a product I have never seen !

Problem is, I got to reading the book, and now I want BC++ !!

Cheers!!

 []====================================================================[]
 || Craig R. Nelson                | CCSofD Software Inc.              ||
 || Programmer                     | Beaverton, OR, 97005              ||
 || mwizard@eecs.ee.pdx.edu        | (unlisted on the net)             ||

pottera@infonode.ingr.com (Andrew Potter) (05/08/91)

mwizard@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Craig Nelson) writes:

>Hi there !!!

>	Interesting little thing happend to me today.  Knock on the door
>and a UPS man holding a box from Borland Intl.  No charge.  Turned out to
>be the much-asked-about Charles Petzoid book, "Programming Windows."  I
>thought it was very nice of Borland to send it my way.  Even nicer was the
>fact they didn't require the purchase of one of their Windows programming
>languages before they sent the book.  Thats right, I never purchased BC++,
>TPW,or Object Vision.  They just sent it.  Like an idiot I called them to
>find out what the scoop was.  Know what the told me ?  "our mistake, keep
>it."  Nice of them to send a $30 book and pay $7 p&h for a free book w/purchase
>of a product I have never seen !

>Problem is, I got to reading the book, and now I want BC++ !!

Well as long as you are reading it, let me ask you a question.  Is this
edition  of Borland's book targeted to BC++, or does he talk about
regular old vanilla flavored C as well?

>Cheers!!

> []====================================================================[]
> || Craig R. Nelson                | CCSofD Software Inc.              ||
> || Programmer                     | Beaverton, OR, 97005              ||
> || mwizard@eecs.ee.pdx.edu        | (unlisted on the net)             ||

Thanks,

Andrew

--
Andrew Potter                           |  "t-crosser
Intergraph Corp         205-730-8673    |       i-dotter"

ergo@netcom.COM (Isaac Rabinovitch) (05/09/91)

In <2574@pdxgate.UUCP> mwizard@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Craig Nelson) writes:

>Hi there !!!

>	Interesting little thing happend to me today.  Knock on the door
>and a UPS man holding a box from Borland Intl.  No charge.  Turned out to
>be the much-asked-about Charles Petzoid book, "Programming Windows."  I
>thought it was very nice of Borland to send it my way.  Even nicer was the
>fact they didn't require the purchase of one of their Windows programming
>languages before they sent the book.  Thats right, I never purchased BC++,
>TPW,or Object Vision.  They just sent it.  Like an idiot I called them to
>find out what the scoop was.  Know what the told me ?  "our mistake, keep
>it."  Nice of them to send a $30 book and pay $7 p&h for a free book w/purchase
>of a product I have never seen !

Borland's poor record-keeping  and mail management is notorious.  They
sent me their version of the Windows Help Compiler without any notice.
I'm glad to have it, but what if I'd moved or something?

>Problem is, I got to reading the book, and now I want BC++ !!

Actually, they ought to include the MS Windows Programmer's Reference
(now available separate from the SDK) instead.  Petzold is helpful for
learning Windows programming, but the PR is *essential* -- no Windows
library functions are documented in the Borland manuals.

--

	ergo@netcom.com 			Isaac Rabinovitch
	netcom!ergo@apple.com			Silicon Valley, CA

  "You might well think that... I couldn't possibly comment."