[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Borland C++ mouse problem

JMH@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (05/02/91)

I recently got BC+ to do windows programming.  When I load bcx all is
well, but the first timee I build an application I lose the mouse.
I use tkernel before bcx, and it happens in either win /s or direct from
dos. System is a 33Mhz 486 with 4M ram, dos 4.01.  Ps the applications
I build run in windows jus fine so compiler is OK.
   ________                   Jim Hodgers
  /___()___\                  JMH@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
  \ ______ /                  May your faithful saint bernard
   \ ____ /                   run away with your yellow Alfa Romeo
    \____/                    (Found in a fortune cookie)
  Who said I could have an opinion ???

wolf@netcom.COM (Buckskin Tech.) (05/03/91)

JMH@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:

>I recently got BC+ to do windows programming.  When I load bcx all is
>well, but the first timee I build an application I lose the mouse.
>I use tkernel before bcx, and it happens in either win /s or direct from
>dos. System is a 33Mhz 486 with 4M ram, dos 4.01.  Ps the applications
>I build run in windows jus fine so compiler is OK.
>   ________                   Jim Hodgers
>  /___()___\                  JMH@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
>  \ ______ /                  May your faithful saint bernard
>   \ ____ /                   run away with your yellow Alfa Romeo
>    \____/                    (Found in a fortune cookie)
>  Who said I could have an opinion ???

There's a common problem with PS/2-style mice that manifests this way.  Do
you have a PS/2 (bus-style) mouse, or a serial mouse?

 - Wolf

Doug_Kneller@f21.n134.z1.fidonet.org (Doug Kneller) (05/08/91)

 j> well, but the first timee I build an application I lose the mouse.
 j> I use tkernel before bcx, and it happens in either win /s or direct

I've had some problems with BC++, too.  I have no problems with the mouse
cursor disappearing unless I shell out to DOS.  Once I return from the shell I
have no cursor.  You can just use Repaint Desktop to get it back so that isn't
too big a problem as I don't spend a lot of time in the DOS shell.  People have
suggested that I may just have an older mouse driver but I think that the
people with those suggestions haven't shelled out to DOS |^{).  Another problem
I have found in dealing with the DOS shell is
that it craps out if you do a fair amount of jumping between it and the IDE
(Protected mode error of some kind).

Sorry, moderator, if this is considered off-topic.

Alastair_Mackintosh@p1002.f165.n253.z2.fidonet.org (Alastair Mackintosh) (05/10/91)

Hi Doug

 > I've had some problems with BC++, too.  I have no
 > problems with the mouse cursor disappearing unless I
 > shell out to DOS.  Once I return from the shell I have
 > no cursor.  You can just use Repaint Desktop to get it
 > back so that isn't too big a problem as I don't spend
 > a lot of time in the DOS shell.  People have suggested
 > that I may just have an older mouse driver but I think
 > that the people with those suggestions haven't shelled
 > out to DOS |^{).
Well I've just shelled to DOS and back 25 times in a test, I do it all the time
in normal use and my friend claims to have done it hundreds of times (!) and
neither of us has problems. We think you have an old version mouse driver. (We
use MOUSE.SYS v7.02).

Regards
      Alastair

---