[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Microsoft Australia restricts SDK documentation!

troy@plod.cbme.unsw.oz.au (Troy Rollo) (05/09/91)

From the comp.windows.ms.programmer frequently asked questions:
>    1.	Use the Microsoft Windows SDK (Software Development Kit).  This is
>
>	but it is possible to use it with other compilers, such as Zortech
>	C++ (but not including most Borland compilers).  If you plan to use
>
>	Of these, Borland C++ and Turbo Pascal for Windows include their
>	own Windows libraries, and do not require you to purchase a Windows
>	SDK (although you will need to buy the SDK documentation, which is
>	available separately).  Applications written using Borland C++  will
>	not run in Windows 3.0 Real Mode, nor do they permit the use of
>	huge pointers.

*FLAME ON*

While Microsoft US allows the documentation to be purchased separately,
the dickless wonders at Microsoft Australia have decided that *NOBODY*
in Australia shall be allowed to have the documentation for the SDK
unless they buy the entire SDK, at A$850 a copy!

This leaves anybody.
programming for MS Windows with Borland C++ with a large, lead weight
hanging from their balls. (Although this is admittedly much better than
programming with the unbelievably inferior Microsoft C compilers, which
are like programming with your balls cut off!)

It seems that Microsoft Australia's executives are so damned gutless
about competition that they've decided to effectively deny access to those
who choose Borland's products to the documentation which is essential
to work with windows.

On the other hand, people with network licenses fot the full SDK *can* order
the documentation seperately, so we know that Microsoft Oz have the books
sitting there. this is a DELIBERATE ploy to stiffle fair competition by
Borland, and represents an admisssion that Microsoft's products are so
far inferior that thaey cannot hope to compete against even a more
expensive product (from memory, Borland C is a few hundred dollars more,
but don't take that as gospel).

This is not the first time I have had cause to flame Microsoft. As far
as I am concerned, in future I will avoid Microsoft products wherever
possible, a policy which I have had great pleasure in implementing while
shopping for books  today, turning down a Microsoft product I would
otherwise have bought.

Quite plainly Microsoft Australia is in need of a quick kick in the arse,
then of being hung upside down by the balls for a few weeks, clobbered
about the head with a baseball bat and fed to a pack of rotweillers after
lunch.

*FLAME OFF*

Hmmmm... I'm mellowing with age.....

I have contacted the Trade Practices Commission. They are not certain
if there has been a breach of the Trade Practices Act, however they did
say that the entire computer suppliers industry in Australia is to
be thoroughly investigated. Apparently the volume of complaints is so
large they're just going to go over it with a fine toothed comb to
try to get everything out of the way at once. The comment I was given
was "The computer wholesale industry in Australia is about the most
unethical industry in the country"
troy@mr_plod.cbme.unsw.oz.au

troy@plod.cbme.unsw.oz.au (Troy Rollo) (05/09/91)

troy> far inferior that thaey cannot hope to compete against even a more
troy> expensive product (from memory, Borland C is a few hundred dollars more,
troy> but don't take that as gospel).

Oops, thinking a little more clearly, once you by Microsoft C 5.1 *AND* the
Microsoft SDK seperately, Mircosoft C is also a significantly more expensive
way to go than Borland C++. Not bad for an inferior product is it?
troy@mr_plod.cbme.unsw.oz.au

rhys@cs.uq.oz.au (Rhys Weatherley) (05/09/91)

In <1434@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au> troy@plod.cbme.unsw.oz.au (Troy Rollo) writes:

>While Microsoft US allows the documentation to be purchased separately,
>the dickless wonders at Microsoft Australia have decided that *NOBODY*
>in Australia shall be allowed to have the documentation for the SDK
>unless they buy the entire SDK, at A$850 a copy!

I obtained the "Guide to Programming" and the "Programmer's Reference" from
the Queensland University's book shop!!  These are published by Microsoft
Press, so I suggest you go to your local computer book store before flaming
Microsoft Australia.  MA may be a bit hesitant to sell them directly to you,
but that's no reason why you can't get them elsewhere.

Maybe I've been mislead into believing that these are part of the SDK
documentation!!  If so, then they are darn close enough to be SDK as far
as I'm concerned.  Total cost was a little over A$100 for both books but
well worth it I feel (and much better that A$850).

Rhys.

+=====================+==================================+
||  Rhys Weatherley   |  The University of Queensland,  ||
||  rhys@cs.uq.oz.au  |  Australia.  G'day!!            ||
+=====================+==================================+

bgeer@javelin.sim.es.com (Bob Geer) (05/09/91)

troy@plod.cbme.unsw.oz.au (Troy Rollo) writes:
>*FLAME ON*

>While Microsoft US allows the documentation to be purchased separately,
>the dickless wonders at Microsoft Australia have decided that *NOBODY*
>in Australia shall be allowed to have the documentation for the SDK
>unless they buy the entire SDK, at A$850 a copy!

>*FLAME OFF*

Pardon my naivete', but is there some reason you cannot mailorder
these books from a US or other mailorder house?  I'm not familiar with
international mailorder restrictions/procedures/limitations.  Many
mailorder ads & catalogs list both US & Canadian prices, so *that*
border seems open.  Unless, of course, the Australian edition is
written in a different language.  (just kidding :-)
--
<> Bob `Bear' Geer <>           bgeer%javelin@bambam.dsd.es.com           <>
<>     cola-zombie <>   speaking only for myself, one of my many tricks   <>

gillham@andrews.edu (Andrew Gillham) (05/12/91)

Well, I buy it for you here and ship it.  ;-)
(how many copies did you say you needed?  300?)

Seriously, how much would purchasing it from the US increase the price?
The 3 books cost me US$93.00 so with shipping maybe US$150.00?
(what's the currency exchange rate?  SDK is US$350)
Rough estimate, A$360.

-Andrew

Andrew Gillham                    "High Ideals are weighed down by
Andrews University                 the Anchors of Reality"
(gillham@andrews.edu)                        - myself