[comp.windows.ms.programmer] INT 2Fh DOS <-> Windows

martin@jennifer.verfahrenstechnik.rus.uni-stuttgart.de (Martin Hepperle (PACP)) (05/09/91)

Hi,

I found several remarks on that mysterious usage of int 2F
to perform various tasks, e.g. establish a communication
between DOS and Windows at interrupt level.
I read about documentation of these calls in the DDK.
Is there another reference which contains a good description
of int 2F and it's usage/parameters or am I supposed to
buy the DDK ?  Too bad that the SDK docu has no information
on this (as well as they omitted the WinOldApp-interface info).

Thanks, Martin.

drift@qut.edu.au (Glenn Wallace) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May9.133346.15362@rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>, martin@jennifer.verfahrenstechnik.rus.uni-stuttgart.de (Martin Hepperle (PACP)) writes:
> Hi,
>
> I found several remarks on that mysterious usage of int 2F
> to perform various tasks, e.g. establish a communication
> between DOS and Windows at interrupt level.
> I read about documentation of these calls in the DDK.
> Is there another reference which contains a good description
> of int 2F and it's usage/parameters or am I supposed to
> buy the DDK ?  Too bad that the SDK docu has no information
> on this (as well as they omitted the WinOldApp-interface info).
>
> Thanks, Martin.

The good (bad?) news about this notoriously documented multiplex
interrupt is that it is going to be used more and more!

+-------------------+-----------------------------------------+
| Glenn Wallace     | Net: drift@qut.edu.au                   |
| Drift Project     | Fone: +61 7 837-7126 Fax: +61 7 221-0173|
| Telecom Australia | Snail: 11th Flr 144 Edward St.,         |
+-------------------+        Brisbane, Q4000 Australia        |
| Disclaimer - The opinions expressed must be my own, because |
|              Telecom is a statuatory authority and as such, |
|              is not capable of having opinions.             |

rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May9.133346.15362@rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de> martin@mecha2.verfahrenstechnik.uni-stuttgart.de (Martin Hepperle) writes:
>I found several remarks on that mysterious usage of int 2F
>to perform various tasks, e.g. establish a communication
>between DOS and Windows at interrupt level.
>I read about documentation of these calls in the DDK.
>Is there another reference which contains a good description
>of int 2F and it's usage/parameters or am I supposed to
>buy the DDK ?  Too bad that the SDK docu has no information

A description of the purpose of INT 2F and how it is to be used can
be found in the DOS technical reference manual.

Kai Uwe Rommel

/* Kai Uwe Rommel, Munich ----- rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de */

DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams