[comp.windows.ms.programmer] LISTBOX Scroll Bars

lk@cbnewsj.att.com (lisa.a.krauth) (05/10/91)

Sorry if this question has been already asked and answered - I have
not kept up with this newsgroup as of late.  Does anyone know why
the scroll bars on my listboxes disappeared when I upgraded my Windows
2.1 application with the 3.0 SDK?  Is there a new way to set up scroll
bars in a listbox.  I had previously used the WS_VSCROLL style type
with the definition of listbox in the resource file.  It worked it
version 2.1.  Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

	Lisa Krauth
	att!lzatt!lak

bonneau@hyper.hyper.com (Paul Bonneau) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May9.214639.4735@cbnewsj.att.com> lk@cbnewsj.att.com (lisa.a.krauth) writes:

>Sorry if this question has been already asked and answered - I have
>not kept up with this newsgroup as of late.  Does anyone know why
>the scroll bars on my listboxes disappeared when I upgraded my Windows
>2.1 application with the 3.0 SDK?  Is there a new way to set up scroll
>bars in a listbox.  I had previously used the WS_VSCROLL style type
>with the definition of listbox in the resource file.  It worked it
>version 2.1.  Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
>	Lisa Krauth
>	att!lzatt!lak

Hi,

The problem may be that the behaviour of ScrollBars in
ListBoxes has changed in version 3.0.  If the entries fit in
the visible portion of the list, no scrollbar is shown.  This
is done dynamically as the list shrinks and grows (assuming
you program causes it to do so).

cheers - Paul Bonneau.

cms2839@isc.rit.edu (a.stranger) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May9.214639.4735@cbnewsj.att.com> lk@cbnewsj.att.com (lisa.a.krauth) writes:

>Sorry if this question has been already asked and answered - I have
>not kept up with this newsgroup as of late.  Does anyone know why
>the scroll bars on my listboxes disappeared when I upgraded my Windows
>2.1 application with the 3.0 SDK?  Is there a new way to set up scroll
>bars in a listbox.  I had previously used the WS_VSCROLL style type
>with the definition of listbox in the resource file.  It worked it
>version 2.1.  Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

				with win3 , scroll bars only appear in
listboxes when they are needed ; i.e. when the contents of the listbox
are longer than the listboxes physical size . if a listbos starts out
with only a few items , and later grows in size enough so that it needs
scrollbars , they will appear if the programmer has specified them .
likewise , they will disappear if the list grows shorter .
--
       @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @

kensy@microsoft.UUCP (Ken SYKES) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May9.214639.4735@cbnewsj.att.com> lk@cbnewsj.att.com (lisa.a.krauth) writes:

>Sorry if this question has been already asked and answered - I have
>not kept up with this newsgroup as of late.  Does anyone know why
>the scroll bars on my listboxes disappeared when I upgraded my Windows
>2.1 application with the 3.0 SDK?  Is there a new way to set up scroll
>bars in a listbox.  I had previously used the WS_VSCROLL style type

In 3.0 a scroll bar appears only if there are more items than will fit
on the screen.  Play with File.Open in your favorite app and switch
between directories with a few files and many files.

Ken Sykes
Disclaimer: The above opinions are solely my own.