[comp.windows.ms.programmer] NeXT

chouw@buster.cps.msu.edu (Wen Hwa Chou) (05/19/91)

In article <funpack111255@f1.n6000.z2.fidonet.org> Chris_Graham%f344.n632.z3@hippo.dfv.rwth-aachen.de (Chris Graham) writes:

>Fine, you go and develop for a machine that has only sold about 12,000 units (
>and I think that is being generous ).
>
>-Chris

For the first quarter of `91, the NeXT shipped about 8,000 boxes under the
category of "professional workstation" into the business world.

Wen

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (05/20/91)

In article <funpack111255@f1.n6000.z2.fidonet.org> Chris_Graham@f344.n632.z3.fidonet.org (Chris Graham) writes:

    * Original <28 Apr 91 08:38:00> was from Joachim Kainz to .

    > JK:
    > JK: I have been using the SDK since version 2.03 now. I tried a
    > JK: few languages and developped to major applications. The last
    > JK: few days I had the chance to work with a NeXT. Man, I wasted
    > JK: years of my life! Object-C and the NeXT-interface, that's it!
    > JK: The 386 with Windows looks like a gameboard compared to this
    > JK: workstation. Folks, let's move there!

   Fine, you go and develop for a machine that has only sold about 12,000 units (
   and I think that is being generous ).

Actually, NeXT had around 20,000 backlogged orders last I heard.  They
will probably ship around 40,000-50,000 computers this year.  A
developer should be able to make a decent living writing software for
the NeXT.  The development tools are free(minus the machine), and the
competition is not as great.  Once you have yourself established with
a reasonable product, the competition will have a hard time getting
your customers.  Look how entrenched Word Perfect and Lotus are, even
with everyone breathing down their necks.

Let's not forget that you have to sweat blood on the PC to develop a
product.  The NeXT is a major step forward for the developer.

-Mike