[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Interface design CONVENTIONS

jimmy@cs.UAlberta.CA (Jimmy the X-Man who likes bouash) (05/11/91)

Hi folks,
Got a simple question. Is there a book or paper that is used
as a reference for specifying the look and feel of graphical interfaces ?

As an example, what are the recommended dimensions for a dialog box ?
Are there any standard spacings between lines and/or buttons in a dialog
box ?  Similarly, do conventions exists for popup and pulldown menus ?
Even if there are no standard specs, do you know if anyone has
published something which tries to outline such standards ?

Internet: jimmy@cs.UAlberta.CA
uucp:     jimmy@alberta.uucp
uunet:    ...!uunet!alberta!jimmy

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May11.042603.1689@cs.UAlberta.CA> jimmy@cs.UAlberta.CA
(Jimmy the X-Man who likes bouash) writes:
>Hi folks,
>Got a simple question. Is there a book or paper that is used
>as a reference for specifying the look and feel of graphical interfaces ?

IBM has published a spec with the initials CUA.  (It's late enough on a
long Saturday that the actual name doesn't come to mind.)  A copy of the
spec is (or at least _was_ until recently) shipped with the SDK.  It should
also be available at the same bookstores that carry the individual manuals
of the SDK.  I believe it was mentioned in recent articles in this news
group and may be in the FAQ list.

--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com
Principal Software Engineer, Easel Corporation

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May12.033532.25760@world.std.com> goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) writes:
>In article <1991May11.042603.1689@cs.UAlberta.CA> jimmy@cs.UAlberta.CA
>(Jimmy the X-Man who likes bouash) writes:
>>Hi folks,
>>Got a simple question. Is there a book or paper that is used
>>as a reference for specifying the look and feel of graphical interfaces ?
>>

>IBM has published a spec with the initials CUA.  (It's late enough on a
>long Saturday that the actual name doesn't come to mind.)  A copy of the
>spec is (or at least _was_ until recently) shipped with the SDK.  It should
>also be available at the same bookstores that carry the individual manuals
>of the SDK.  I believe it was mentioned in recent articles in this news
>group and may be in the FAQ list.

It's also paraphrased in the manuals that come with Borland's TP for Windows.
One of the rules is that all colours should be user-configurable - I wish this
were true of Windows Help, since I find the green cross reference messages
nearly invisible if I change the window background to blue-green.

Duncan Murdoch
dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu

robertk@lotatg.lotus.com (Robert Krajewski) (05/21/91)

IBM has a book on Common User Access guidelines, informally known as
the CUA book. It is included with Microsoft's Windows SDK, so I
supposed implies some level of endorsement.

The old 2.0 SDK document had a guidelines section, but the new CUA
book is more comprehensive: it covers international issues more
thoroughly, and is not Windows-centric.

All Windows (and PM) interface designers also ought to read the Apple
User Interface Guidelines book as well. It's well-written and exhibits
a unity of purpose that is sometimes obscured by the IBMisms of CUA
book.