[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Windows development under UNIX

moss@moss.TTI.COM (Moss) (05/22/91)

Is it possible to develop Windows 3 Applications under SCO UNIX using
the Microsoft SDK?

Les Moss                      moss@tti.com
Citicorp TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.   (213) 450-9111, ext. 2982
Santa Monica, CA  90405

mags@visionware.co.uk (Maggie Thomas) (05/23/91)

In article <26350@ttidca.TTI.COM> moss@moss.TTI.COM (Moss) writes:
>Is it possible to develop Windows 3 Applications under SCO UNIX using
>the Microsoft SDK?

It is possible to develop Windows applications under SCO Unix, but not
using the Microsoft SDK - the MS libraries are specific to PC's.  There is
a UK company that has produced an SDK which you can use to write MS Windows
programs, or rather Unix programs which display to PC's using Microsoft
Windows routines.  I work for the company, VisionWare Ltd, and so you can't
think of this as being completely unbiased on the matter, but you can mail
me if you want to find out more about the product.  Programs developed in it
require a run-time environment, called PC-Connect, which lives on both the
unix host and the PC.

>Les Moss                      moss@tti.com
>Citicorp TTI
>3100 Ocean Park Blvd.   (213) 450-9111, ext. 2982
>Santa Monica, CA  90405

Maggie Thomas			mags@visionware.co.uk
VisionWare Ltd
Phone: +44-(0)532-788858
Fax:   +44-(0)532-304676

t901592@mp.cs.niu.edu (Michael J Wood) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May23.072345.23963@visionware.co.uk> mags@visionware.co.uk (Maggie Thomas) writes:
>In article <26350@ttidca.TTI.COM> moss@moss.TTI.COM (Moss) writes:
>>Is it possible to develop Windows 3 Applications under SCO UNIX using
>>the Microsoft SDK?
>
>It is possible to develop Windows applications under SCO Unix, but not
>using the Microsoft SDK - the MS libraries are specific to PC's.  There is
>using the Microsoft SDK - the MS libroaries are specific to PC's.

I think what the questioner had in mind was cross-compiling windows
applications on the unix system.  To actually run windows application on
the Unix box one would have to run windows on the unix machine.