[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Motif API for Windows 3.0 SDK

stephenm@syacus.acus.oz.au (Stephen McIntosh) (05/23/91)

I'm looking for any info on the avilability/plans to provide the Motif API's
for Windows 3.0 (DOS).

This would allow you to write code on a UNIX/Motif environment and then port
the code to a DOS machine by linking the code with the SDK.

This would assume that a mapping scheme between Xt/Xlib and SDK functions would
be possible....

Of course, OSF holds the licence for Motif, so I'm not sure on the commercial
aspects of this idea.

Thanks
Stephen McIntosh
ACUS - The Australian Centre for UNISYS Software

+61-2-390-1371 (Phone)
+61-2-390-1391 (Fax)
----------------------

lion@dat1hb.north.de (Daniel Tietze) (05/25/91)

stephenm@syacus.acus.oz.au (Stephen McIntosh) writes:

> I'm looking for any info on the avilability/plans to provide the Motif API's
> for Windows 3.0 (DOS).
> This would allow you to write code on a UNIX/Motif environment and then port
> the code to a DOS machine by linking the code with the SDK.
  This might not be of much value to you - I'll post it anyway. Rumour
has it - I don't remember where I read it, some German mag or other -
that a toolkit is currently being developed which allows software
development for a wide range of GUIs, e.g. Windows 3.0, MOTIF, SunView,
etc. To port your application to a different GUI you simply link a
different library (we're talking C here, ok?). If my memory serves me
correctly, a company spokesman was quoted stating that porting an
application using this library would take just short of 20 minutes
(which - to me as a free-lance software developer - sounds highly
improbable).
  If you are in desperate need for information, I could delve into my
magazine archive and start searching.
    Hope this helps.
       Daniel

| Daniel Tietze, 2800 Bremen 1,  Tel.(voice) : 0421/448806         |
|-=============- DATELINE Communications, Bremen.  The home of DMS |
| Mail: (private) lion@dat1hb.north.de (univ) E07J@DHBRRZ41.BITNET |
|-====- DMS-Support: dateline@dat1hb.north.de                      |

dsr@otter.hpl.hp.com (Dave Raggett) (05/29/91)

/ otter:comp.windows.ms.programmer / lion@dat1hb.north.de (Daniel Tietze) /  3:27 pm  May 25, 1991 /
stephenm@syacus.acus.oz.au (Stephen McIntosh) writes:

> I'm looking for any info on the avilability/plans to provide the Motif API's
> for Windows 3.0 (DOS).
> This would allow you to write code on a UNIX/Motif environment and then port
> the code to a DOS machine by linking the code with the SDK.

You could look at OpenUI from Open Software Associates which offer
a user interface building tool that allows you to develop a user interface
using a point & click WYSIWYG builder running on Windows 3 or Motif/Unix, then
compile it for your intended platform and link it to you application code
written in C (or even COBOL!). The user interface can be compiled to run on:
Windows 3, Presentation Manager, Motif (Unix), OPEN LOOK and others. From
looking at their marketing blurb, it is intended for conventional
forms based information systems, rather than graphical applications, although
you can display bitmapped pictures.

Try contacting them at:

        Open Software Associates    or    Open Software Associates
        P.O. Box 401                      C/O Famtec Computer GmbH
        Ringwood Victoria                 Gewerbepark
        Australia                         7343 Kuchen b. Geislingen/Steige
                                          Germany

Tel:    +613 871 1666                     + 49 7331 8081

raney@yertle.Colorado.EDU (Scott Raney) (05/30/91)

One potential problem with this is that on the same hardware (386) a
trivial Motif application is about 1.2 MB while a comparable
MS-Windows application is about 100KB.  While it's true that 386
systems with lots of RAM are becoming more common, they're still
relatively rare.  Given the tuning required to get a widget based app
to work properly, it would not be possible to just have a Motif API
without carrying along most of the widget code as well.

If you really want portability, use XVT (from XVT here in Boulder).
It works, and without the huge memory penalty for Windows (plus it
runs on the Mac, too!).  Porting an application is usually pretty easy
(hours or days, not weeks) if you're careful not to use OS calls too
often.
Scott Raney                            No other person or organization
raney@boulder.colorado.edu              can be held responsible for my
(303)499-9855                                opinions or actions

grooke@tcom.stc.co.uk (Gill Rooke) (05/30/91)

>> I'm looking for any info on the avilability/plans to provide the Motif API's
>> for Windows 3.0 (DOS).
>> This would allow you to write code on a UNIX/Motif environment and then port
>> the code to a DOS machine by linking the code with the SDK.

Have you tried Glockenspiel's Commonview. It is a common API for C++ in both of
those environments. They are in Dublin +353-1 733166.

The benefits are that they have been around for some years and the product is
stable. However, their support may be a little thin (based on heresay and a
little evidence) and the class library that they provide dosen't include source.

Gil.