[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Best setup with SDK and MSC 6.0a

MXP122@psuvm.psu.edu (Malzor) (05/24/91)

I am new to windows programming, I have MSC 6.0a and the SDK 3.0, and I was
having trouble with the MAKE files and stuff for a while but I have it
straightened out now (more or less, I have to select the MAKE file (non-
standard) everytime I load PWB).  I was really wondering what the best
setup for developing stuff was.  I mean, do you use PWB in full-screen
mode in a shell from windows, and switch between, or do you use 386-enh
mode and window PWB, and go back and forth like that.  The only problem
with the latter is that the text is skrunched and hard to read.  Also,
doesn't it make sense that I should be able to the number of lines in
the editor to greater than 25, (not just EGA 43 and VGA 50 lines), since
windows can make the window as big as it needs, but it doesn't.

Anyways, what setup have you guys found to work the best.  I really hate
switching back to DOS from Windows all the time. . .so slow. . .

Thanks.  L 8 ' R

arf@world.std.com (alan feuer) (05/24/91)

I don't use MS/PWB, just the compiler.  Most of the time I edit and
compile in DOS.  I run my program with a batch file that contains

	win /s program

On my machine, invocation takes about 5 secs, not much longer than
launching the app from within Windows.  During program development,
I change the /File Exit command to exit windows, i.e., ExitWindows(0L,0),
so returning to DOS takes less than 1 sec.

/alan feuer
arf@world.std.com

Kent_Stewart@f50.n347.z1.fidonet.org (Kent Stewart) (05/31/91)

 > From: MXP122@psuvm.psu.edu (Malzor)
 >
 > I am new to windows programming, I have MSC 6.0a and
 > the SDK 3.0, and I was
 > having trouble with the MAKE files and stuff for a
 > while but I have it
 > straightened out now (more or less, I have to select
 > the MAKE file (non-
 > standard) everytime I load PWB).  I was really

The context information is saved if you save the environment. However, I found
using PWB to be so slow that I switched to bc++. There are rules on using bcx
in a standard window but far superior to using pwb.  I found that you can have
either pwb or bc++ in a dos window and toggle between them using the alt+tab.

If I hadn't started carrying both c's along time ago, I would have stuck it out
using 6.0.  In order for the mouse to work you have to use either full screen.
Doing anthing else cripples the editing features.  Using pwb, running enh386
and toggling worked well for me.  From appearances neither work as well as tpw
and I don't expect visual basic have problems either.

Kent