[comp.windows.ms.programmer] UAE's - how are they detected /B2 vs C2 & Clipboard, DDE etc

alistair@microsoft.UUCP (Alistair BANKS) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May29.190234.20121@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> barry@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Barry Lay) writes:
>Now that we have the official mumbo-jumbo,
>does anybody out there who is familiar with the Orange Book care to comment
>on how useful a B2 rating will be on the limited set of functions that will
>be supported by NT?  Is it going to prevent downgrades via the clipboard?
>Enforce security labels on printed output?

I was careful to say that NT, the kernel, was designed for B2, but with
32-bit Windows subsystem would be C2. NT with another subsystem
could get B2 certification, but a B2 Win32 subsystem would result
in a very un-useable system. B2 would defy today's Clipoard, DDE, OLE, Drag
& Drop and other features. Users like these features in a PC operating
system!

Alistair Banks
Systems Division, Microsoft.