[comp.windows.ms.programmer] programing

Randy_Humes@f117.n151.z1.fidonet.org (Randy Humes) (05/02/91)

Peter:
As I understand it, Borland bought out Actor(not sure).  I have played with it
a little and Borland C++ is OK.  The pitfalls of using a pure OOPS like Object1
or Smalltalk do not occur as you are still in control at a low level.  I have
not toyed with Actot directly, rumor has it that it is cumbersome.  ParcPlace
sells an expensive Smalltalk win package that is supposed to be good - again no
personnal exoerience.
The real question I have is - what are your business and tech requirements?
Depending upon these and your personnal(or groups) level of experience will
determine which package to use.  An example being - no C experience, DBase
experience, short time frame, network database, minimal performance req.
use Object1, SQL, Win3, and LAN Manager.  With C experience, large system,
and tough performance criteria, use MS C 6.0, OS/2, SQL, and LAN Man.
All that remains the same changes.
Later.

Tim_Carter@f222.n142.z1.fidonet.org (Tim Carter) (05/03/91)

 * Original <24 Apr 91 20:06> was from Hao Lam

 > HL: TC >   Prob. the cheapest way, and maybe best for you, would
 > HL: be
 > HL: TC > Turbo Pascal for Windows.  It would not require you to
 > HL: TC > learn C (wierd stuff sometimes) and has a much lower entry
 > HL: TC > cost.

 > HL: So does that mean you have a copy?

Of Turbo Pascal for Windows?  No, but it should be here by early next week.

C U on the bit stream, Tim

Peter_Schmidhofer@p4.f15.n246.z2.fidonet.org (Peter Schmidhofer) (05/05/91)

Hello Randy!

 Once upon a time, Randy Humes wrote in a msg. to
 Peter Schmidhofer at 01 May 91 something like this:

 RH> exoerience. The real question I have is - what are your business and
 RH> tech requirements?

I'm developing and maintaining a Win3-application written with MSC6.0/WinSDK
which is the front-end for a WAN mail system.
At the moment I'm not satisfied with this way of developing and searching for a
better method of implementing new features in the existing code than writing it
in C.

 RH>  Depending upon these and your personnal(or groups)
 RH> level of experience will determine which package to use.

I hope you now know my experiences a little bit.

 RH> database, minimal performance req. use Object1, SQL, Win3, and LAN
 RH> Manager.

We use Novell, no LAN Manager :-)

 RH>   With C experience, large system, and tough performance
 RH> criteria, use MS C 6.0, OS/2, SQL, and LAN Man.

As previous mentioned, doing it with OS/2 is impossible because there's an
existing application and our customers are Win3-users.

regards,
         Peter

Paul_King@f241.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Paul King) (05/06/91)

 CG-> No, you've probably been confused over the fact that
 CG-> borland has licenced the WRT for use with Turbo pascal for
 CG-> Windows etc. An understandable mistake.

That's what I thought his problem with that statement was in the first place.

---

Chris_Graham@f344.n632.z3.fidonet.org (Chris Graham) (05/10/91)

 * Original <04 May 91 20:41:00> was from Peter Schmidhofer to Randy Humes

 > PS:  RH>   With C experience, large system, and tough performance
 > PS:  RH> criteria, use MS C 6.0, OS/2, SQL, and LAN Man.
 > PS:
 > PS: As previous mentioned, doing it with OS/2 is impossible because
 > PS: there's an existing application and our customers are Win3-users.

Dos workstations still have access to the services of LanMan. SQL Windows works
very well with SQL server on an OS/2 server.

-Chris

Peter_Schmidhofer@p4.f15.n246.z2.fidonet.org (Peter Schmidhofer) (05/12/91)

Hello Chris!

 Once upon a time, Chris Graham wrote in a msg. to
 Peter Schmidhofer at 09 May 91 something like this:

 >> PS:  RH>   With C experience, large system, and tough performance
 >> PS:  RH> criteria, use MS C 6.0, OS/2, SQL, and LAN Man.
 >> PS:
 >> PS: As previous mentioned, doing it with OS/2 is impossible because
 >> PS: there's an existing application and our customers are
 >> Win3-users.
 CG>
 CG> Dos workstations still have access to the services of LanMan. SQL
 CG> Windows works very well with SQL server on an OS/2 server.

But there is _no_ LanMan in the network. We are using Novell and do not intend
to change to the LAN Manager.

regards,
         Peter

producer@wam.umd.edu (Winthrop D. Chan) (05/16/91)

I'm confused!  What other Whitewater products, besides the Whitewater Resources Toolit, is Borland licensing/adopting?  What is ObjectWindows (as currently in
TPW)?  Does it has an equivalent in Actor 3.0?  How about ObjectGraphics?

What I am really getting at is that are there any advantages in prototyping in
Actor3.0 and moving the real apps to BC++ or TPW?

Enquiring mind wants to know!

Winthrop Chan

jeroen_pluimers@f521.n281.z2.fidonet.org (Jeroen Pluimers) (06/02/91)

Hello Peter!

In a msg of <26 May 91>, Peter Schmidhofer writes to jeroen pluimers:

 PS> Can you please describe the application development with Actor ? I
It is a kind of interactive and interpretive language, you build your
application using an interpreter that precomiles your code. Then you save the
p-code into an .IMA file and create your own .EXE file with all resources and
the Actor p-code executor.

This means that for relative simple applications you have a .EXE of about 150k
and a .IMA of about 100k. For larger applications this is not so much a
problem. PS> don't have an impression of the language Actor uses. Are there
 PS> comparable languages or can you give a little example ?
I think only smalltalk with a very good class (object) library can come close.

jeroen