[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Microsoft Basic Windows development system ?

Angus.Fox@UK.Sun.COM (Angus Fox) (05/30/91)

Heard that Gates & Co have found their love for basic again and are
producing an
SDK based on Basic.

Anybody have more concrete information?

Angus Fox
Sun Microsystems Europe Inc - Sitka
Internet:Angus.Fox@uk.Sun.com
Janet:Angus.Fox@sun.co.uk
AppleLink:SITKAEUROPE
Phone: +44 276 51440

d89-bfr@sm.luth.se (Bjorn Fahller) (05/30/91)

Angus.Fox@UK.Sun.COM (Angus Fox) writes:

>Heard that Gates & Co have found their love for basic again and are
>producing an
>SDK based on Basic.

Wrong wrong wrong. The name is correct, but there is no connection with the
BASIC programming language.

>Anybody have more concrete information?

It's a graphical environment for developing windows programs. I got a demo
diskette from Microsoft today, but to be honest I wasn't impressed. The two
programs made with the system looked neat, but they were SLOW! I don't
remember exactly what the readme file said, but it was a system through which
you create a "shell" for your program, and then you just enter the
code for what the program will do in the specific events. The two demo
programs on the diskette (an icon editor, and a program telling you a little
about other Microsoft products), were said to be written in 30 and 20 minutes
each. That's fast, of course, but the programs themselves, were pig slow.

>Angus Fox
>Sun Microsystems Europe Inc - Sitka
>Internet:Angus.Fox@uk.Sun.com
>Janet:Angus.Fox@sun.co.uk
>AppleLink:SITKAEUROPE
>Phone: +44 276 51440
   _
/Bjorn.

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (05/31/91)

In article <1742@west.West.Sun.COM> Angus.Fox@UK.Sun.COM (Angus Fox) writes:
>Heard that Gates & Co have found their love for basic again and are
>producing an
>SDK based on Basic.
>
>Anybody have more concrete information?

 There is a review of it in this weeks PC WEEK magazine.  Price: $199US

 There is also COBOL and FORTRAN versions in the works by Microsoft.
 I believe the FORTRAN version is out already, being reviews in either
 the same PC WEEK for in a latest issue of INFO WORLD.

 There also indicated that Windows 4.0 was (rumored?) to have a BASIC
 SDK as a standard part of the package.

Kevin_Zelhart@f24.n116.z1.fidonet.org (Kevin Zelhart) (06/03/91)

What you probably *have been hearing about has been Visual Basic. The language
allows you to develop the interface by picking items from a tool bar, then
filling in the `guts' of the code. You worry about algorithm development for
your data instead of what size your dialog box needs to be. I'm not sure on it,
peformance, we expect a few copies in a couple of weeks. I'll try to post on
our experiences.