[comp.windows.ms.programmer] MS Windows Toll-Free Support Number

helena@athena.mit.edu (Helena G Cragg) (05/29/91)

I'm trying to find out the Microsoft 800 number for application support,
particularly for Windows 3.0, if such an animal exists.  I have a couple
of questions about running Windows applications on a network, and I'm
tired of wasting my money on their WA phone number which is usually busy,
and always unhelpful.....

Helena
--

*Helena Cragg*		helena@athena.mit.edu

tftfm@acad3.alaska.edu (MCGRANE TOM F) (05/29/91)

In article <HELENA.91May28170633@e40-008-6.mit.edu>, helena@athena.mit.edu (Helena G Cragg) writes...
>I'm trying to find out the Microsoft 800 number for application support,
>particularly for Windows 3.0, if such an animal exists.  I have a couple
>of questions about running Windows applications on a network, and I'm
>tired of wasting my money on their WA phone number which is usually busy,
>and always unhelpful.....
>
>Helena
>--
>
>*Helena Cragg*		helena@athena.mit.edu

Toll free number to Microsoft?  Hah!  They've got them for sales, but better
have a deep pocket for tech. support.

PS:  Anyone ever get a person in less than 45 minutes for Windows support?
Ever get a correct answer?

Rumor has it that Microsoft will have a 900 number for DOS 5.0 questions.
Either that or they're starting a DOS Love Line....I don't remember for sure.

Paul D. Shan <PDS2@psuvm.psu.edu> (05/29/91)

In article <28MAY91185039@acad3.alaska.edu>, tftfm@acad3.alaska.edu (MCGRANE TOM
F) says:

>Toll free number to Microsoft?  Hah!  They've got them for sales, but better
>have a deep pocket for tech. support.
>
>PS:  Anyone ever get a person in less than 45 minutes for Windows support?
>Ever get a correct answer?

  Microsoft has a GENERAL number for support, but it's mostly for update
  information and product replacement (upGRADE information).  But if you want
  tech support, you must call the WA number and pay the toll to AT&T.

  As for getting correct answers in less than a 45 minute wait...yes, I
  frequently do.  I usually have to wait 30 minutes, and once I got through
  in less than 5.  When Microsoft COULDN'T answer my question, they would
  take my number and call me back with their thoughts on the solution if the
  problem was sufficiently complex.

  Microsoft sponsors some FREE seminars on the inner workings of Windows.  It
  covers such things as what files are loaded when and where, what happens if
  you don't set up extended memory correctly, etc.  I know DOS machines fairly
  well, but this seminar helped me figure out some problems without having to
  call their tech support number...I learned a few things I didn't know.  If
  you have the opportunity to take this course, and are familiar with the
  workings of DOS, I highly recommend this seminar.  Apparently Microsoft is
  thinking about sponsoring an even more technical workshop on Windows.  I
  hope they do.

Paul D. Shan
Microcomputer and Personal Workstation Support
Center for Academic Computing
12 Willard Building
University Park, PA  16802
(814) 863-4356
PDS2@PSUVM.psu.edu

dana@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Dan Aksel) (05/29/91)

In article <28MAY91185039@acad3.alaska.edu> tftfm@acad3.alaska.edu writes:
>Toll free number to Microsoft?  Hah!  They've got them for sales, but better
>have a deep pocket for tech. support.

I have no trouble paying for tech support. Generally speaking most questions are
not "the product's broken" but more along the lines of "I can't figure this out
and need your help."  Most calls to tech support could probably be avoided if
people would take time to READ the manuals.  Not just a quick look in the index,
I mean READ the manual.  I own windows, (project, word, excel, and powerpoint)
for windows.  Of the half dozen calls I've made to tech support over the past
six months I'd say two of them involved "features" of a program that didn't work
the way Microsoft intended.  The others were in the manual, I was just too lazy
to find it.  The two calls that actually needed MS support involved the
interaction of two programs.  This generally isn't covered well in the manuals
since each product is sold as "stand alone."

>PS:  Anyone ever get a person in less than 45 minutes for Windows support?
I've NEVER waited longer than 20 minutes.  Yeah windows is probably a busy group
but if you have a question on Project or Powerpoint the wait it VERY short.

>Ever get a correct answer?
Do you mean a correct answer, or the answer you wanted to hear?  You have to
remember the product will never do 100% of what you want it to.  You can't
please all the people all the time right?  As with most software questions there
is no single correct answer.  I've never hung up without more knowledge than
when I called.  My problem may not be 100% solved but I will at least have a few
more avenues to explore.

>Rumor has it that Microsoft will have a 900 number for DOS 5.0 questions.
>Either that or they're starting a DOS Love Line....I don't remember for sure.

The long term solution to support isn't easy.  Lotus won't even let you speak
with a tech support agent unless you beep in a valid "prompt id number."
Service is free for about 6 months and then is $48 annually.  After my "free"
support expired I got quite intimate with the manual and haven't needed them
since.  Lotus also offers 900 service and promises to answer all calls within 60
seconds.  Now that sounds like fair support to me.  I forget the per minute
charge.

WordPerfect offers a toll free support line and a live DJ to entertain you while
you wait.  The wait there is typically 15-20 minutes.  Generally, I don't mind
paying for the call.  I do get upset with the long holds.

People pay $15,000 for a car and then pay mechanics to work on it without
question.  They buy a $300 peice of software and want 10 years of free support.
Overall I've probably spent an hour on the phone with tech support people
directly.  I don't feel sorry for MS's reduced profits.... but I still don't
think infinite support "has to be" free.

I'd be willing to bet the calls to MS support would be cut in half if they
verified the registration of every caller.
---
Dan Aksel

ckinsman@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman) (05/29/91)

In article <HELENA.91May28170633@e40-008-6.mit.edu> helena@athena.mit.edu (Helena G Cragg) writes:
>I'm trying to find out the Microsoft 800 number for application support,
>particularly for Windows 3.0, if such an animal exists.  I have a couple
>of questions about running Windows applications on a network, and I'm
>tired of wasting my money on their WA phone number which is usually busy,
>and always unhelpful.....

From what I understand there is not an 800 number out there for technical
support.

Chris

--
Chris Kinsman  					KINSMAN@WSUVM1
Washington State University			22487863@WSUVM1

grantk@manta.NOSC.MIL (Kelly J. Grant) (05/30/91)

In article <28MAY91185039@acad3.alaska.edu> tftfm@acad3.alaska.edu writes:
>In article <HELENA.91May28170633@e40-008-6.mit.edu>, helena@athena.mit.edu (Helena G Cragg) writes...
>>I'm trying to find out the Microsoft 800 number for application support,
>
>Toll free number to Microsoft?  Hah!  They've got them for sales, but better
>have a deep pocket for tech. support.

Here are some stats from Word Perfect:  They get 16,000 calls per day (for
750 support operators).  They spend $ 500,000 PER MONTH on long distance
charges.  They spend another 1.5 million dollars on salaries.  That's just
technical help for Word Perfect users (and thier products).  Imagine the number
of users who could call Microsoft for one reason or another: DOS, Windows,
C, Word, etc..  I don't think their lack of an 800 number is unreasonable.
You have to control access a little.

>PS:  Anyone ever get a person in less than 45 minutes for Windows support?

Yes.  I generally get a person within 5-7 minutes.  I got a speaker phone
to wait on hold without neck cramps, and ended up barely needing to use it.

>Ever get a correct answer?
I have gotten some outstanding technical support for Microsoft C questions.
I will admit I got a couple of flaky answers for Windows problems, but in
the several years I have been calling Microsoft,  I have had generally good
experiences with user support.

I just get tired of people jumping on the bandwagon and bashing companies
who are trying to make our lives easier.  I'm certain Microsoft and other
companies would love constructive criticism on how to improve their support,
but let's be a little understanding.  Have YOU ever tried to support users ?

Kelly
--
Kelly Grant        grantk@manta.nosc.mil   (619) 225-2508
Computer Sciences Corp          ^^^^^^^^ Important: manta.UUCP won't get to me

Renee@cup.portal.com (Renee Linda Roberts) (06/04/91)

Well, I just spent 20 some odd minutes waiting for tech support, only to
find out that most of their "technical" people don't even know what a CRC
value is. The guy I talked to said "What's a CRC? Is that a new program?"

(They did, several hours later give me the CRC's I needed, but that guy made
my day. Kept me laughing for hours!)

I think that they need to train their tech people just a little more...

Also, MS now has a DJ of their own.

Renee Roberts