[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Clipper and Windows 3.0 incompatible?

mcormier@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Michel B. Cormier) (06/04/91)

I am currently trying to get one of my clipper (Summer'87) application
running under windows 3.0.  However, after trying to open a few databases
and index, I get a message: CANNOT open such and such....Retry (Y/N).  This
error will generally be accompanied by a DOS error 4 or 5.  Increasing
the number of files in config.sys doesn't help much.

Has anybody else had a similar problem???  Anybody knows of a solution???

Reply by mail, I'll summarize.

THX
MBC
--
Michel B. Cormier              | UUCP: mcormier@micor.uucp
Computer Consultant            | Internet: mcormier@micor.OCUnix.On.Ca

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun3.231123.20856@micor.ocunix.on.ca> mcormier@micor.ocunix.on.ca (Michel B. Cormier) writes:

>I am currently trying to get one of my clipper (Summer'87) application
>running under windows 3.0.  However, after trying to open a few databases
>and index, I get a message: CANNOT open such and such....Retry (Y/N).  This
>error will generally be accompanied by a DOS error 4 or 5.  Increasing
>the number of files in config.sys doesn't help much.
>
>Has anybody else had a similar problem???  Anybody knows of a solution???
>
>Reply by mail, I'll summarize.

Michel,  I don't have the exact answer since there are so many factors that
influence Win 3.0.  Are you running on a '386, how much RAM do you have and
a bunch of other things.  I can say for certain that apps will run since
I've run both S'87 and 5.0 apps from Win 3.0 and I know folks who use Windows
as their base of operations.

If there is any way that you can get to NANFORUM on Compuserve you can get
direct answers to your queries.

Other than that you'll have to play around or possibly somebody else will
know.  It could depend upon whether you have DOS SHARE loaded, what DOS
version you are using and god knows what else.  Maybe the app just couldn't
find the data file.  I repeat that I haven't had any problems with the two.

tom