[comp.windows.ms.programmer] BC++ & After Dark??

todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) (06/06/91)

I just bought a copy of "After Dark" (a port of the Mac screen saver
program to Windows 3.0) and noticed that it contains documentation and some
sample code on how to write your own DDL animation modules for it. Has
anyone tried to create these modules using Borland C++ instead of the
recommended MS SDK?

--
Todd Ogasawara ::: Hawaii Medical Service Association
Internet       ::: todd@pinhead.pegasus.com

wolf@netcom.COM (Buckskin Tech.) (06/07/91)

todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) writes:

>I just bought a copy of "After Dark" (a port of the Mac screen saver
>program to Windows 3.0) and noticed that it contains documentation and some
>sample code on how to write your own DDL animation modules for it. Has
>anyone tried to create these modules using Borland C++ instead of the
>recommended MS SDK?

>--
>Todd Ogasawara ::: Hawaii Medical Service Association
>Internet       ::: todd@pinhead.pegasus.com
>Telephone      ::: (808) 536-9162 ext. 7

I have, but I've never been too successful.  Then again, I didn't take the
time to translate the interface code in the After Dark DevKit.  The code
was written to work only with MSC, so the makefile and some of the headers
and support code need to be rewritten.  It's pretty straightforward, though.

 - Wolf

seymour@astech.tmc.edu (Ken Seymour) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun06.001141.17763@pinhead.pegasus.com> todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>I just bought a copy of "After Dark" (a port of the Mac screen saver
>program to Windows 3.0) and noticed that it contains documentation and some
>sample code on how to write your own DDL animation modules for it. Has
>anyone tried to create these modules using Borland C++ instead of the
>recommended MS SDK?
>
>--
>Todd Ogasawara ::: Hawaii Medical Service Association
>Internet       ::: todd@pinhead.pegasus.com
>Telephone      ::: (808) 536-9162 ext. 7

I have purchased Borland C++ (through the attractive TC++ upgrade
offer).  It contains a DLLDEMO program that compiles and works.  The DLL
defines a paint call for a bitmap object.  The samples main program
takes this and plots the bitmap in succession to make it move (kind of
like animation only slower!).

IMHO this shows that Borland C++ supports the development of DLLs.
Also IMHO I wouldn't say for sure that you could do animation (quickly)
this way but I suspect that SDK would be no faster with the same approach.

Ken Seymour
seymour@astech.ast.saic.com