[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Stop the gate!

Paul_King@f241.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Paul King) (05/31/91)

 jp->  PK>         Please hunt down and kill the person(s) who are gating the
 jp->  PK> Fidonet Windows.Prog echo to/from the UUCP newsgroup

 jp-> Hey why? It's very nice to read the UUCP feed here... most
 jp-> messages are on a high level, just as the aim of this
 jp-> area!

There are a couple of reasons.  First and foremost, it is duplicate
information.  My system, as well as others in my area have both areas offered
to users.  Right now, I have two similar areas with the same messages in them.
This is a waste of hard drive space.

I'm not against gating the newsgroup to fidonet, just against someone dumping
those messages in this area.  If someone in Fidonet wants to dump newsgroups
into an echo, let them start a new echo for it.  My users and myself both enjoy
being able to relate on different levels.  The newsgroups from UUCP are great
for advanced users, however, fidonet is good for new users.

If you just think about this, it will make sense to you.

Thanks!

---

Chris_Graham@f344.n632.z3.fidonet.org (Chris Graham) (06/02/91)

 * Original <28 May 91 20:37:02> was from jeroen pluimers to Paul King

 > JP: Hello Paul!
 > JP:
 > JP: In a msg of <23 May 91>, Paul King writes to Moderator:
 > JP:
 > JP:  PK>         Please hunt down and kill the person(s) who are
 > JP: gating the
 > JP:  PK> Fidonet Windows.Prog echo to/from the UUCP newsgroup
 > JP:  PK> comp.ms.windows.prog.  A posting of the rules once now
 > JP: and again would
 > JP:  PK> be nice so that we would be able to tell who you are also.
 > JP: Thanks
 > JP:
 > JP: Hey why? It's very nice to read the UUCP feed here... most
 > JP: messages are on a high level, just as the aim of this area!

Because people like me who act as zone gates get size of bringing in 100's of
messages that have a trailer like:

| I have nothing
| better to do
| other that pad my
| ego out.
|<get the message>
| I certainly hope so

-Chris

PS: Stephen [Mr Moderator] please ask the person to cut the feed. Otherwise I
pull the plug to australia.
[I do not want to do this]

rvd@bunker.isc-br.com (Robert Del Favero Jr.) (06/07/91)

In article <1306861962@f241.n260.z1.fidonet.org> Paul_King%f241.n260.z1@hippo.dfv.rwth-aachen.de (Paul King) writes:

> jp->  PK> Please hunt down and kill the person(s) who are gating the
> jp->  PK> Fidonet Windows.Prog echo to/from the UUCP newsgroup
> jp-> Hey why? It's very nice to read the UUCP feed here... most
> jp-> messages are on a high level, just as the aim of this
> jp-> area!
>
>There are a couple of reasons.  First and foremost, it is duplicate
>information.

More importantly, the Fidonet gateway changes the ID information
attached to Usenet articles and causes copies of Usenet articles to
reappear on Usenet.  (i.e. I (rvd@clunker) post an article on
Tuesday, and on Thursday I see a second copy of it, from
"rvd@Fidonet".)  The duplicate messages are really annoying, not to
mention that they consume valuable network resources.

If you guys want to spread information on Usenet, then go right ahead.
But if you're going to mindlessly spew garbage and chatter, then keep
it to yourselves.  We can do that just fine for ourselves.

Robert V. Del Favero, Jr.            ISC-Bunker Ramo, an Olivetti Company
rvd@clunker.shel.isc-br.com                     Shelton, Connecticut, USA