[comp.windows.ms.programmer] ZINC 2.0 WINDOWS VERSION

Jin_Ng@f344.n632.z3.fidonet.org (Jin Ng) (05/31/91)

I am using Zinc User Interface Libr 1.01 with Borland C++.  I received upgrade
info regarding ver 2.0 which can create Windows 3.0 apps.  I downloaded some
example files from Zinc's BBS in the states and I was not too impressed by
them.  They seemed slow and the resources like the sroll bar seems a bit dodgy.
Is there any Zinc user out there who has upgraded.  I would like a review
before upgrading.  Does Zinc 2.0 uses resources from WRT?

dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) (06/06/91)

I recently ordered and sent back the Zinc Interface Lib v1.01.  I too
wasn't very impressed.  I've been playing around with Turbo Pascal for
Windows because I wanted to learn how to use the Borland supplied
Object Windows Library (OWL), their pascal class lib.

Borland is currently beta testing a dos and windows version of the
class libs for Borland C++.  My advice... wait till that comes out and
get it.  It has only taken me a couple of weeks to get the hang of the
TP class lib, but it really is outstanding (would you like to be able
to create a windows shell program in about 10 lines of executable
code? or do you prefer the 160 lines of MS C?).  I expect similar
quality will be forthcoming in the C++ versions.

David
--

                                          A new world record
                                          in the javalin throw

    /                                          /
   /                                          I

David Sampson                                         Harris Corporation
dsampson@x102a.ess.harris.com                   Gov't Aerospace Systems Divison
uunet!x102a!dsampson                                  Melbourne, Florida

winefred@b11.ingr.com (Winefred Washington) (06/07/91)

In article <678379158@f344.n632.z3.fidonet.org>, Jin_Ng@f344.n632.z3.fidonet.org (Jin Ng) writes:
> I am using Zinc User Interface Libr 1.01 with Borland C++.  I received upgrade
> info regarding ver 2.0 which can create Windows 3.0 apps.  I downloaded some
> example files from Zinc's BBS in the states and I was not too impressed by
> them.  They seemed slow and the resources like the sroll bar seems a bit dodgy.

I have upgraded to Zinc 2.0 and have found it to be better than version 1.0.
The Windows version is still a little rough but I have been able to generate
a Win3.0 and Dos app from essentially the same source.  If you do decide to
upgrade, GET THE SOURCE.  You will be able to feature things out better
if you have the source to refer to.

>  Does Zinc 2.0 uses resources from WRT?

As far as I can tell, Zinc 2.0 cannot use the resources generated by WRT;
however, you should be able to modify the source to allow the use of
certain resources such as bitmaps.

tjonz@Sun.COM (Todd Jonz) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun6.203950.4356@b11.ingr.com>, winefred@b11.ingr.com (Winefred Washington) writes:

|> I have upgraded to Zinc 2.0 and have found it to be better than version 1.0.
|> The Windows version is still a little rough but I have been able to generate
|> a Win3.0 and Dos app from essentially the same source.  If you do decide to
|> upgrade, GET THE SOURCE.  You will be able to feature things out better
|> if you have the source to refer to.

I recently upgraded to Borland C++, and I believe that Borland has sold their mailing
list to Zinc.  Just yesterday I received promotional literature for Zinc 2.0 in the
mail.  As part of the promotional deal, you receive the source code free if you order
before a certain date (August 1 if I recall correctly.)  Being a satisfied C++/Views
user, however, I filed Zinc's literature in the bit bucket....