[comp.windows.ms.programmer] SDK References?

<ACPS1794@Ryerson.Ca> (06/07/91)

I've recently bought Borland C++ and want to start using it to program for
Windows.  Can anyone tell me, where/how I can get the SDK reference manuals?
Are they available in stores?  I'd prefer to buy from a store rather then
order by mail.

I recall reading that there were two library reference books. (Can't remember
the names).  Or, if there's something better available, what is it?

I've already got Petzold's book, so tutorial-type stuff isn't needed.  A
reference to all the Windows API calls, is.

Thanks for your help.
|     Joe Janakovic         |Bitnet:  acps1794@ryerson.ca    (preferred)      |
|                           |UUCP:    canrem!joe.janakovic                    |
| Applied Computer Science  |I'net:  acps1794%ryerson.bitnet@utcs.utoronto.ca |
| Ryerson Polytechnical     |                                                 |
|   Institute               |   "I hope you realize this means war!"          |
| Toronto, Ontario, CANADA  |           - Bugs Bunny                          |

pelzer@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Frank Pelzer) (06/08/91)

In article <91157.203107ACPS1794@Ryerson.Ca> ACPS1794@Ryerson.Ca writes:
>I've recently bought Borland C++ and want to start using it to program for
>Windows.  Can anyone tell me, where/how I can get the SDK reference manuals?
>Are they available in stores?  I'd prefer to buy from a store rather then
>order by mail.
>
>I recall reading that there were two library reference books. (Can't remember
>the names).  Or, if there's something better available, what is it?
>
>I've already got Petzold's book, so tutorial-type stuff isn't needed.  A
>reference to all the Windows API calls, is.

There are three books in the MICROSOFT WINDOWS' PROGRAMMERS REFERENCE
LIBRARY from MICROSOFT PRESS:

Author:  Microsoft Cooperation
Title:   Microsoft Windows: A Guide to Programming
         (Microsoft Windows Programmer's Reference Library)
Source:  Microsoft Press, Redmont, 1990
Price:   $29.95 (cover price)
ISBN 1-55615-308-2

Author:  Microsoft Cooperation
Title:   Microsoft Windows: Programming Tools
         (Microsoft Windows Programmer's Reference Library)
Source:  Microsoft Press, Redmont, 1990
Price:   $24.95 (cover price)
ISBN 1-55615-310-4

Author:  Microsoft Cooperation
Title:   Microsoft Windows: Programmer's Reference
         (Microsoft Windows Programmer's Reference Library)
Source:  Microsoft Press, Redmont, 1990
Price:   $39.95 (cover price)
ISBN 1-55615-309-0

They should be available in your local bookstore.
Would be nice if somebody could comment on the information over
noise ratio of these books (especially of the first both).

cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) (06/08/91)

From article <91157.203107ACPS1794@Ryerson.Ca>, by ACPS1794@Ryerson.Ca:
> I've recently bought Borland C++ and want to start using it to program for
> Windows.  Can anyone tell me, where/how I can get the SDK reference manuals?
> Are they available in stores?  I'd prefer to buy from a store rather then
> order by mail.

B Dalton Stores  used to sell them.  I've seen two of them on
shelves in the last year.  If they won't order, call Microsoft.

BTW, THELP has the complete listing in its help stuff.  Consider that
if all you need is an API reference.

|Tom Hite					|  The views expressed by me |
|Manager, Product development			|  are mine, not necessarily |
|CADSI (Computer Aided Design Software Inc.	|  the views of CADSI.       |