[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Excel and 1-2-3 file formats

rsinger@netcom.COM (Richard Singer) (05/29/91)

Does anyone know where the file formats for these two apps is documented?

Thanks,
Rich Singer
rsinger@netcom.com

Richard.Singer@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (Richard Singer) (05/29/91)

Does anyone know where the file formats for these two apps is documented?

Thanks,
Rich Singer
rsinger@netcom.com

 * Origin: Seaeast - Fidonet<->Usenet Gateway - sunbrk (1:343/15.0)

burgoyne@eng.umd.edu (John R. Burgoyne) (05/30/91)

In article <675518012.70@sunbrk.FidoNet> Richard.Singer@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (Richard Singer) writes:

>Does anyone know where the file formats for these two apps is documented?

I know about Excel, but not about 1-2-3.

The Excel spreadsheet file format is called "BIFF" for Binary Interchange
File Format and it changed from Excel Version 2.x -> 3.0. Older
versions of BIFF are available free from MS; the only way to get BIFF
for Excel 3.0 in a reasonable time is to join the MS Excel Developer's
club for $295/year.

Excel 3.0 can read 2.x files; Excel 2.x can not read 3.0 files.

Prior to joining the club, we had tried in vain to get BIFF for 3.0
without joining the club (and paying the $295). After joining, we
received it in a week.

Robert

BJGLEAS@auvm.american.edu (bj gleason) (06/11/91)

There is a book called "File Formats for Popular PC Software, A Programmer's
Reference" by Jeff Walden (Wiley) that documents the 123 file format.  There
is a second volume that _might_ contain Excel...