[comp.windows.ms.programmer] BC++ help compiler/hypertext questions...

psmith@iies.ecn.purdue.edu (Paul F Smith) (06/11/91)

Hello folks,

I've been using BC++ for a couple of months (or so) now and have
collected up the following questions. I hope someone can help...

1. I would like to create help files (RTF) using MS-Word 5.5, but I
   don't have a printer driver that knows what fonts come with
   Windows. Does anyone have such a thing? Does it come with
   MS's SDK?

2. I have an idea for a hypertext application (don't we all :-) that
   could almost be done with the Windows Help program. I would like
   to add just a couple of enhancements to the program to make it
   work better for my application. Is the source code to the Windows
   help program available? Possibly in the MS-SDK?

   Or, does anyone know of a PD/SW hypertext program for windows,
   preferably with source?

This next one may be a known bug, so my apologies, I can't afford
to call MS and am hoping that a solution is available here:

3. When I run the help compiler with the COMPRESS=TRUE option
   I get an "Abort, Retry, Fail" message from SHARE.

   I'm not on a network, I don't use SMARTDRV, FASTOPEN or anything
   else like that. Just QEMM386 and PC-CACHE, but I don't think they
   are the problem, as everything else works fine.

   If I tell it to ignore (several times) the compile finishes and
   the help file *appears* to be OK. Well, I haven't found a problem,
   yet! :-)

Any ideas?

Thanks to all for the help, and the bandwidth!
-Paul
--
//
// Paul F. Smith - ADPC - Purdue University  // Sometimes I wake up grumpy,

ted@gdfwc3 (Ted Barker) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun10.203641.11153@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> psmith@iies.ecn.purdue.edu (Paul F Smith) writes:

|   This next one may be a known bug, so my apologies, I can't afford
|   to call MS and am hoping that a solution is available here:
|
|   3. When I run the help compiler with the COMPRESS=TRUE option
|      I get an "Abort, Retry, Fail" message from SHARE.
|
|      I'm not on a network, I don't use SMARTDRV, FASTOPEN or anything
|      else like that. Just QEMM386 and PC-CACHE, but I don't think they
|      are the problem, as everything else works fine.
|
|      If I tell it to ignore (several times) the compile finishes and
|      the help file *appears* to be OK. Well, I haven't found a problem,
|      yet! :-)

I haven't used the hc yet, but have run in to similar problems running in
386enh mode using large DOS volume.  If two applications are trying to
access the same file (Word 5.5 and hc?) SHARE goes nuts.  Has the RTF file
been closed by Word before openning with hc? Hope this helps.

Ted Barker                                       tbarker@ee.uta.edu
					         uunet!texsun!gdfwc3!ted
What IS the standard disclaimer?                 gdfwc3!ted@central.sun.com
If it exists, is it ANSI? CCIT? IEEE? MIL? ABA??

psmith@iies.ecn.purdue.edu (Paul F Smith) (06/17/91)

In article <TED.91Jun13080811@kuwait.gdfwc3> gdfwc3!ted@central.sun.com writes:
>In article <1991Jun10.203641.11153@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> psmith@iies.ecn.purdue.edu (Paul F Smith) writes:
>
>|   This next one may be a known bug, so my apologies, I can't afford
>|   to call MS and am hoping that a solution is available here:
>|
>|   3. When I run the help compiler with the COMPRESS=TRUE option
>|      I get an "Abort, Retry, Fail" message from SHARE.
>|
>|      I'm not on a network, I don't use SMARTDRV, FASTOPEN or anything
>|      else like that. Just QEMM386 and PC-CACHE, but I don't think they
>|      are the problem, as everything else works fine.
>|
>|      If I tell it to ignore (several times) the compile finishes and
>|      the help file *appears* to be OK. Well, I haven't found a problem,
>|      yet! :-)
>
>I haven't used the hc yet, but have run in to similar problems running in
>386enh mode using large DOS volume.  If two applications are trying to
>access the same file (Word 5.5 and hc?) SHARE goes nuts.  Has the RTF file
>been closed by Word before openning with hc? Hope this helps.

Yes, the files is closed. I'm not working in windows or anything, just in
one program at a time. And, as I said it only happens when I use
COMPRESS=TRUE. Other than that the procedure is the same.

Anyone else seen this?? Thanks.
--
//