[comp.windows.ms.programmer] WINDOWS for XT ??

Frank2.Simon@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Frank 'Biber' Simon) (06/21/91)

Hi,
has anybody heard of a WINDOWS-Version for a little XT? I' ve heard
of such a version, but aren't able to get informations about where to
get one. Maybe someone can tell me about a XT-WINDOWS-Version and its
features (I only need WINDOWS to work with PAGEMAKER) and where to buy.

Thanks

 - Frank -
--
FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT
    E-MAIL-ADDRESS:      ~       I am       ~      MAIL-ADRESS:

amf@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Andrew Fountain) (06/21/91)

In <5941@uniol.UUCP> Frank2.Simon@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Frank 'Biber' Simon) writes:

>Hi,
>has anybody heard of a WINDOWS-Version for a little XT? I' ve heard
>of such a version, but aren't able to get informations about where to
>get one. Maybe someone can tell me about a XT-WINDOWS-Version and its
>features (I only need WINDOWS to work with PAGEMAKER) and where to buy.

This should go in the FAQ file.
XT's will run Windows fine in CGA graphics. If you wish to run EGA, Herc
or VGA, then unplug your 8088 processor and plug in a V20 (cost about
$10). Not only will this allow the graphics drivers to run, but will
give you a significant speed improvement.

My brother runs PageMaker on an XT (8MHz). It is not very fast but is usable.

--
amf@ecs.soton.ac.uk                  Dr. Andrew Fountain
Tel: +44 703 592831                  Dept of Electronics and Computer Science

ebergman@isis.cs.du.edu (Eric Bergman-Terrell) (06/21/91)

Windows in real mode should run on your XT (slowly, I'm told).  Don't know
of any other version of Windows for XT (or anything else, for that matter).

Terrell

merrill@cs.arizona.edu (Darren J. Merrill) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun21.135605.23482@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> ebergman@isis.UUCP (Eric Bergman-Terrell) writes:

>Windows in real mode should run on your XT (slowly, I'm told).  Don't know
>of any other version of Windows for XT (or anything else, for that matter).
>
>Terrell
Perhaps the original poster is thinking of GeoWorks Ensemble?

/* ---------------------------------------------------------------------- */
Darren Merrill
merrill@cs.arizona.edu

coates@uc780.umd.edu (06/22/91)

In a previous article, Frank2.Simon@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Frank 'Biber' Simon) wrote:
>Hi,
>has anybody heard of a WINDOWS-Version for a little XT? I' ve heard
>of such a version, but aren't able to get informations about where to
>get one. Maybe someone can tell me about a XT-WINDOWS-Version and its
>features (I only need WINDOWS to work with PAGEMAKER) and where to buy.

There is Geoworks a Windows like GUI, coded in assembler. It is said to
be quick and very good as a GUI. Don't know if this is what has been
transmogrified into Windows for the XT. Geoworks does work well on XT,
PC class machines, vs MS Windows.

*                     Elliott Coates, washington dc                      *
*                         coates@uc780.umd.edu                           *
*                             coates@uc780.bitnet                        *