[comp.windows.ms.programmer] ap, Windows BASIC. Back to the start.

ole@edb.tih.no (Ole Nymoen) (06/22/91)

There has lately been a heated discussion pro and contra Basic in this
conference.  It all started (if I remember correctly) with a question
about Visiual Basic, and if it was any good.

I was at a presentation of Visual Basic (VB) some days ago, and I have
worked with a product (Winix Toolkit (WTK), mail me if you want more info)
very much like it for over a year. The main difference is that WTK uses
a pascal like language and needs SDK.

When discussing if a product is any good it is necessary to view it in
the context of the problem that is to be solved.  Both products simplifies
the user interface part of Windows programming to a level of painting
and writing some simple statements in Basic or Pascal.

As a tool for handelig the user interface both VB and WTK performs quite
good.  You can quickly make a prototype and you can take most of the work
with you to the final product.

If you make a product that has much code that isn't user interface related,
you can put this code in a DLL and have it called from VB or WTK.  This
works very vell and results in code that has a clearly seperated interface
and engine.

After the presentation of Visual Basic and with my experience with
Winix Toolkit I don't belive that I would use either product to much
besides handeling the user interface.  There is however a lot of work
spared with this use of VB and WTK.

My conclusion is: Product like VB and WTK saves a lot of work in the user
interface part of a Windows program, but is not for the complete
implementation of programs with a lot of non interface code.  For this use
a DLL made from C(++) code.

I hope this will turn the discussion back from a flame war between Basic
ant the others, and to a more interesting discussion of what tools to
use to simplify Windows development.

Ole

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (06/23/91)

In article <ffm8vtoplC@humpty.edb.tih.no> ole@edb.tih.no writes:
>There has lately been a heated discussion pro and contra Basic in this
>conference.  It all started (if I remember correctly) with a question
>about Visiual Basic, and if it was any good.

I'm glad to see it back having something to do with Windows.  For more
about Visual Basic, you might want to check the July 91 issue of Computer
Language Magazine.  It has a very positive article about Visual BASIC.
It sounds way too limited for exclusive use, but as a way to quickly
write little utilities, it seems ideal.  This is more or less the position
GWBASIC held on the PC, before Turbo Pascal came along and showed that
compiled languages needn't be horrible for small projects.

I'll finish with a quote from the article.  The editors at CLM had a lot
of little utilities, not well written, not easy to use, but with no time
to bother fixing them up, when a beta Visual Basic arrived.

"Within a couple of weeks we had rewritten every last utility.  The new
versions are full-fledged Windows 3.0 applications with all the requisite
buttons, menus, resizable windows, mouse support, and icons -- all without
using the SDK.  It was faster and easier to write the programs as WinApps
than as DOS applications, and the resulting utilities lack the
unfriendliness and bugs of the originals.
It's the best way we know of to create applications for Windows."

They go on to temper that last statement, but still a very positive
pre-review.

Duncan Murdoch